A new earthquake and several powerful aftershocks hit devastated Nepal on Tuesday, killing at least 24 people and sending terrified residents running into the streets of the traumatized capital.
The 7.3-magnitude quake struck at 12:35 pm, some 76 kilometers (47 miles) east of Kathmandu, the US Geological Survey said, more than two weeks after a 7.8-magnitude quake which killed more than 8,000 people.
Tuesday’s quake was felt as far away as New Delhi, and officials said it caused buildings to collapse in Tibet in neighboring China.
A second tremor of 6.3-magnitude struck around half an hour later, followed by yet more aftershocks, according to the USGS.
National police spokesman Kamal Singh Bam put the number of injured at 679.
Four more were killed across the border in India, according to officials, while Chinese state media said one person was killed in Tibet.
The ground swayed for close to a minute from the first of Tuesday’s tremors, according to an AFP correspondent in Kathmandu.
“We felt it and suddenly there were huge crowds running up and down,” said resident Suresh Sharma, who was in a vegetable market at the time.
“It was very scary and very difficult to make my way out,” said 63-year-old.
“The last time we had the big quake I ran out of my house and barely escaped. This one felt just like that one. I can’t believe it’s happening again.”
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), which has a number of teams on the ground in the wake of the April 25 quake, said four people were crushed to death when buildings collapsed in Chautara, east of Kathmandu.
Police said at least three people had been killed in the Kathmandu Valley while more than 300 people had been injured in the city itself.
The impact was also felt in China and India where officials reported four people dead in the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
Shaking went on and on
Rose Foley, working in Kathmandu for the UN’s children’s fund UNICEF, said staff dived under tables.
“The shaking seemed to go on and on. We got out to safety as soon as possible. Sitting out in the open it felt like I was on a boat on rough seas as aftershocks hit,” she said by email.
Although the latest quake did not appear to be as severe as the April 25 one, residents were terrified that buildings that were already badly damaged could come crashing down.
Read more: gmanetwork.com
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Trey Gowdy Slams McCabe: ‘Fellow Bureau Agents’ Suggested He Be Fired, Not Trump’s Fault
- Why I Killed Jeffrey Dahmer
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Conservative Activists Detained by Airport Police in UK — Preventing Them from Inciting “Hatred”
- CAUGHT: Trump Sniffs Out Biggest Iranian Spy in White House
- Senator Kamala Harris Completes ‘Democrat Stupidity Course’ After Tweeting this Moronic Statement on Illegal Immigration
- Identical Twin Studies Show the Only Gay Genes that Exist are Made by Versace
- Watch: Feminist Wants to Ban the Word “Man” — Tucker Has His Fun
- Obama Repeals ObamaCare
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- WATCH: CNN Goes to Gun Range to Shoot AR-15, Proves Gun-Controllers Have No Clue What They are Talking About
- Self-Proclaimed ‘Trump Supporter’ Breaches Security at Tower With Bag of Weapons & Fireworks… to ‘Study’ for School
- Alert: High School Shooting, One Dead and Multiple Wounded
- Deranged Killer Explains Why He MURDERED Female Jogger…Will Make You FURIOUS!
- NAKED SPRING BREAKER FOUND: Un-Harmmed and Underaged, the Female Photographed Came Forward to the Police