FBI divers wrapped up a three-day search of a California lake where authorities suspect a couple inspired by Islamic State may have dumped evidence linked to their massacre of 14 people, an official said on Sunday, adding the team retrieved some objects.
The search at the lake in a public park 2.5 miles (4 km) north of the site of the Dec. 2 shooting at a regional center in San Bernardino, began on Thursday after reports the suspects were spotted nearby either before or after the attack.
ABC News and other news organizations had reported that the divers at San Bernardino Lake were looking for a computer hard drive that belonged to the married couple, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 29.
But FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller declined on Sunday to describe the objects or say whether they appeared to be connected to the mass shooting.
“We have not commented on the items, or whether they are case-related, due to the ongoing investigation,” Eimiller said, responding to a media report the objects retrieved in the search were not tied to the crimes under investigation.
“Divers tend to find all sorts of items in public lakes,” she said, and any objects found “will be analyzed for evidentiary value in this case.”
U.S. officials have said their investigation has yet to turn up evidence that foreign militants directed Farook or Malik when they stormed a holiday gathering of Farook’s co-workers and opened fire with assault rifles.
The couple fatally shot 14 people and wounded more than 20 in a rampage the FBI said it was treating as an act of terrorism inspired by Islamist militants. If that is confirmed, it would be the most lethal such attack on U.S. soil since the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked plane attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
Farook, the U.S.-born son of Pakistani immigrants, and Malik, a Pakistani native he married last year in Saudi Arabia, were killed in a shootout with police hours after the assault in San Bernardino, 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles.
Read more: Yahoo News
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ‘YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WEDDINGS’: Little Flower Girl Tries Her Best to Explain Weddings to Her Dad [WATCH]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary