FBI divers wrapped up a three-day search of a California lake where authorities suspect a couple inspired by Islamic State may have dumped evidence linked to their massacre of 14 people, an official said on Sunday, adding the team retrieved some objects.
The search at the lake in a public park 2.5 miles (4 km) north of the site of the Dec. 2 shooting at a regional center in San Bernardino, began on Thursday after reports the suspects were spotted nearby either before or after the attack.
ABC News and other news organizations had reported that the divers at San Bernardino Lake were looking for a computer hard drive that belonged to the married couple, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 29.
But FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller declined on Sunday to describe the objects or say whether they appeared to be connected to the mass shooting.
“We have not commented on the items, or whether they are case-related, due to the ongoing investigation,” Eimiller said, responding to a media report the objects retrieved in the search were not tied to the crimes under investigation.
“Divers tend to find all sorts of items in public lakes,” she said, and any objects found “will be analyzed for evidentiary value in this case.”
U.S. officials have said their investigation has yet to turn up evidence that foreign militants directed Farook or Malik when they stormed a holiday gathering of Farook’s co-workers and opened fire with assault rifles.
The couple fatally shot 14 people and wounded more than 20 in a rampage the FBI said it was treating as an act of terrorism inspired by Islamist militants. If that is confirmed, it would be the most lethal such attack on U.S. soil since the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked plane attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
Farook, the U.S.-born son of Pakistani immigrants, and Malik, a Pakistani native he married last year in Saudi Arabia, were killed in a shootout with police hours after the assault in San Bernardino, 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles.
Read more: Yahoo News
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- POLL: President Trump Wants to Expose Sexual Harassers in Congress — Do You Love This?
- Kathy Griffin Attacks Trump Again in Bizarre Video [WATCH]
- Chick Who Stole MAGA Hat from College Student is in Serious Trouble [VIDEO]
- The Best Scopes for Your Hunting Rifle
- 2yr-Old Beats Stage 4 Cancer with Breakthrough Treatment
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- WATCH: Off-Duty Police Officer Caught in Gun Fight While Holding His Young Child
- Newt Gingrich: ‘If Muslims Believe in Sharia Law They Should Be…’ Do You Agree?
- ‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Tells Muslim Women’s March Leader to Put a Sock In It After Saying THIS…
- ALERT: Mugabe ‘Resigns’ From Office
- Revealed: George Soros has Been Winning Small Political Victories That Can Jeopardize America
- NOT YOUR AVERAGE STREET FIGHT: Police Break Up Street Fight in UK involving AK47, Machine Gun and a Rocket Launcher
- GERMAN JIHADIST: Returns From Syria, Claims Multiple Attacks are Coming to…