Monday’s big election law news came from the Supreme Court’s penultimate decision of the term upholding Arizona’s congressional districts.
But before handing down its last three decisions, the court made voting-rights advocates happy by deciding not to review a different election case.
“Arizona citizens can continue to participate in voter registration drives without worrying about not having proof of citizenship documents,” Shirley Sandelands, of the League of Women Voters of Arizona, said in a statement Monday.
The case, Kobach, et al. v. Election Assistance Commission, et al., was about whether Arizona and Kansas could require voters to prove their citizenship when registering to vote with the so-called “federal form.” Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach led the suit against the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, which was an appeal of a lower court decision.
Both Kansas and Arizona have state laws that require applicants to prove their citizenship when applying to vote with state forms (for state or federal elections). But the U.S. EAC denied the states’ requests to have their citizenship laws applied when would-be voters use the standardized federal form.
The Supreme Court had already ruled in 2013 that state proof-of-citizenship laws couldn’t be applied when people try to register with the federal form. The states’ direct request to the EAC was a last-ditch effort to get around that.
By not hearing the case, the Supreme Court effectively upheld the decision of the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled against Arizona and Kansas in November 2014, saying the EAC did not have to modify its form to meet state laws. Under the federal form, would-be voters need only swear under penalty of perjury that they are citizens.
“This is a very big deal,” University of California Irvine Law Professor Rick Hasen wrote on his election law blog Monday. “Kobach had the potential to shift more power away from the federal government in administering elections toward the states,” he added.
Read more: atr.rollcall.com
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- Steve Bannon Is Out From White House Position — Was He Fired?
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Antifa Protester in Virginia Attacked Journalist — Caused Concussion [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- Watch: President Trump Issues New Threat to North Korea, ‘Things Will Happen to Them Like They Never Thought Possible’
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Krauthammer: If You Take Up Arms Against The United States You Have Forfeited Your Rights
- Rosie O’Donnell Apologizes to Tyrant Kim Jong-un for President Trump’s Behavior… [VIDEO]