Were it not for the fact that the 68 square miles that covers Washington, D.C. wasn’t owned lock, stock and barrel by the Federal Government, most of the decisions reached by the D.C. District Court wouldn’t attract much attention, even when the decisions go up to the United States Court of Appeals. But the gun cases brought by Dick Heller and the NRA aren’t your local, garden-variety of court cases and the D.C. District Court isn’t some town magistrate dealing with whether the town has the right to prohibit overnight parking on all local streets. Nope, the D.C. District Court has been the scene of three separate 2nd Amendment cases whose rulings have become Law of the Land.
The first case brought by Heller — Heller I — went all the way to the Supreme Court in 2008 and resulted in the decision which basically said that the Constitution gave American citizens the right to keep a handgun in their homes for self-defense. Thesecond case — Heller II — was a challenge to the gun registration scheme put into place by the D.C. cops following Heller I, which allowed D.C. residents to purchase and own handguns under conditions that were so onerous and difficult that handgun ownership remained a barely-realizable fact.
As a result of Heller II, the District of Columbia revised its licensing rules, changing certain procedures, eliminating others and adding a few new ones, all of which provoked Heller and his NRA-backed legal team to initiate the action now known as Heller III. This case was decided by the Court of Appeals on September 18, and while the NRA lauded the decision as “bringing gun ownership within reach to more of D.C.’s upstanding residents,” the Appeals Court reaffirmed what I believe are the most fundamental gun-control tenets of all; namely, the right of the government to engage in the practice and policy of regulating guns.
Read more: The Huffington Post
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation
- WATCH: Sarah Sanders Hammers the Media for Criticizing Trump’s MS-13 ‘Animals’ Comment
- ‘Caravan’ of Refugees Climb U.S.-Mexico Border While Chanting, “Yes We Can!”
- Bad Parents: Baby Found Starved Nearly To Death By Lazy Parents
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- Trump Ends Worst Obama-Era Policy: ‘America will not be held hostage to nuclear blackmail.’
- Target: Man in Woman’s Bathroom Exposes Himself to Child
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump