Three U.S citizens have arrived safely in Germany after being released from captivity in Iran, in a diplomatic breakthrough hailed by Barack Obama.
Obama said a ‘smart, patient and disciplined approached to the world’ has seen results that, he claims, will block Iran from ever obtaining a nuclear bomb.
He spoke from the White House on Sunday, one day after the United Nations certified that Iran had curbed its nuclear program as promised.
Minutes earlier, three of the five U.S. citizens released from Iran touched down in Geneva, Switzerland. They subsequently headed on to Ramstein Air base in Germany before heading home.
Brett McGurk, the Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL, tweeted a picture of Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian, one of the freed prisoners.
‘This is a good day,’ Obama said in a statement from the White House. ‘When Americans are freed and returned to their families, that’s something we can all celebrate.’
The president spoke at the close of an extraordinary weekend of diplomacy that saw the back-to-back release of the five Americans and the lifting of billions in international sanctions on Iran as part of the nuclear accord.
And America finally reached a deal to settle a longstanding claim at the Hague, releasing to Tehran $400 million in funds frozen since 1981 plus $1.3 billion in interest.
In a possible dig at his Republican critics, Obama told reporters the financial settlement is a success as it is ‘much less’ than the ‘billions’ Iran sought.
Read more: Daily Mail
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation
- WATCH: Sarah Sanders Hammers the Media for Criticizing Trump’s MS-13 ‘Animals’ Comment
- ‘Caravan’ of Refugees Climb U.S.-Mexico Border While Chanting, “Yes We Can!”
- Bad Parents: Baby Found Starved Nearly To Death By Lazy Parents
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- WATCH: Body-Cam Footage Released of Police Hunting Down Las Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Trump Ends Worst Obama-Era Policy: ‘America will not be held hostage to nuclear blackmail.’
- Target: Man in Woman’s Bathroom Exposes Himself to Child
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump