Almost half of the 17 ObamaCare state insurance exchanges are reportedly suffering financial difficulties, posing a significant challenge to state officials just five years after the passage of President Obama’s signature health care law.
The Washington Post reports that many of the marketplaces set up by the states and the District of Columbia are being hit by high costs and tepid enrollment numbers. In response, officials at state level are mulling raising fees on insurers, sharing costs with nearby states, and are calling for more money to be infused into the system.
Some officials are even considering handing over their exchanges to the federal Healthcare.gov – an exchange that has had widely reported problems of its own.
The troubling report comes at a difficult time for the law. The Supreme Court is considering a challenge to ObamaCare tax subsidies that, if struck down, could affect as many as 8 million Americans.
The justices are to decide whether the law makes people in all 50 states eligible for federal tax subsidies — or just those who live in states that created their own health insurance marketplaces. This question matters because roughly three dozen states opted against their own marketplace, or exchange, and instead rely on the U.S. Health and Human Services Department’s Healthcare.gov. If the court rules against the Obama administration, insurance subsidies for people in those states would be in jeopardy.
Read more: Fox News
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Female Gun Range Owner, Who Banned Muslims from Her Business, is Running for Governor