But in delivering his final speech, it seems as though Obama has mastered another social subtlety: the subtweet, the Twitter-world equivalent of trash-talking someone without ever acknowledging his or her existence.
Obama may not have been wielding a smartphone in the House chamber on Tuesday night, but his speech he tore into his political opponents — including several top Republican presidential candidates — in unsparing terms. At times he was cutting and combative, at others he was sarcastic and even a tad funny.
“I know some of you are antsy to get back to Iowa,” he said near the beginning of his speech, a wink to the crowd of candidates hungry to take his job, some of whom are currently serving in the Senate. “I’ve been there. I’ll be shaking hands afterward if you want some tips.”
Much of Obama’s speech seemed to be a point-by-point rebuttal of the arguments that have skyrocketed Donald Trump to the top of the field.
Countering the bleak narratives that have dominated the campaign trail so far, Obama said anyone who says the economy is in decline is “peddling fiction” and “political hot air.”
He also unreservedly singled out Trump’s call for temporarily banning all Muslims from entering the country, saying that when politicians insult Muslims “that doesn’t make us safer. That’s not telling it like it is. It’s just wrong.”
“Will we respond to the changes of our time with fear, turning inward as a nation, and turning against each other as a people?” Obama said. “Or will we face the future with confidence in who we are, what we stand for, and the incredible things we can do together?”
While Obama’s speech, at times, seemed to be an extended rejection of Trump’s politics, he also made indirect references to other presidential candidates, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who has criticized Obama’s foreign policy and said he should “carpet bomb” the Islamic State.
“The world will look to us to help solve these problems, and our answer needs to be more than tough talk or calls to carpet bomb civilians,” Obama said. “That may work as a TV sound bite, but it doesn’t pass muster on the world stage.”
Read more: Mashable
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Missing 14yr-Old Girl Found Dead in Landfill, Police Need Your Help
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- ALERT: US Official Arrested For Giving Chinese Agent Top-Secret…
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- Insane! Sex Offender Rapes Neighbor’s 7yr-Old Daughter Weeks After Being Released from Prison
- Protesters Interrupt Trump During Time For Prayer — The President’s Reaction Is Priceless
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- Dude Starts Freaking When Chick Places Snake on His Lap in Most Hilarious Video
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- WATCH: Why Poor People Shouldn’t Run the Economy
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Clinton Foundation Busted for Taking $1MIL from Qatar and ‘Forgetting’ to Tell Gov. About It
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- Professor Publishes ‘#LetThemF*ckingDie’ Article About White People, Now Playing The Victim…
- Fake Mud Jeans Now Exist for Men Who are too Afraid to Get Dirty — Guess How Much They Cost