A federal appeals court said President Obama’s own words saying he was claiming powers to “change the law” were part of the reason it struck down his deportation amnesty, in a ruling late Monday that reaffirmed the president must carry out laws and doesn’t have blanket powers to waive them.
The 2-1 ruling by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals punctures Mr. Obama’s immigration plans and is the latest in a series of major court rulings putting limits on the president’s claims of expansive executive powers to enact his agenda without having to get congressional buy-in.
In an opinion freighted with meaning for the separation of powers battles, Judge Jerry E. Smith, writing for himself and Judge Jennifer Walker Elrod, singled out Mr. Obama’s own claim that he acted to rewrite the law because Congress wouldn’t pass the bill he wanted.
The key remark came in a speech in Chicago just days after his Nov. 20, 2014, announcement detailing his executive actions. Fed up with a heckler who was chiding him for boosting the number of deportations, Mr. Obama fired back, agreeing that he’d overseen a spike in deportations.
“But what you are not paying attention to is the fact that I just took an action to change the law,” the president said.
The two judges said the Justice Department failed to explain away Mr. Obama’s remarks.
“At oral argument, and despite being given several opportunities, the attorney for the United States was unable to reconcile that remark with the position that the government now takes,” Judge Smith wrote.
Whether Mr. Obama acted within the law is the crux of the case.
Read more: The Washington Times
- Watch: Mother and Daughter Defeat Armed Robber Because They Carry a Gun
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- CNN Reporter Claims School Shooting Survivor Colton Haab is a Liar
- Report: Father ‘Chained His Twin Daughters in Home, Raped Them and Fathered Their Children’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- Nurse Caught on Camera Laughing as WWII Vet Dies Gasping for Breath
- Thinking Past Step 1: Other Policy Changes to Improve School Security
- Delta and United Airlines Drop Their NRA Connections — Several Other Companies Too
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Nikolas Cruz to Plead GUILTY for Mass Shooting, Will He Avoid Death Penalty?
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- Man Claims He is a ‘9yr-Old Trapped’ in a Man’s Body After Being Arrested for Sexually Assaulting Children