Texas Sen. Ted Cruz will announce Monday his plans to run for president, becoming the first high-profile Republican formally to enter the 2016 presidential contest.
Cruz has hinted openly at his intentions to seek the White House for months, and his intention to jump into the race was confirmed by a strategist for the first-term Republican senator, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity so as not to preclude the formal announcement.
While Cruz is the first Republican to declare his candidacy, he is sure to be followed by several big names in the GOP, including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and two Senate colleagues, Kentucky’s Rand Paul and Florida’s Marco Rubio.
Details about Cruz’s Monday campaign launch were first reported by The Houston Chronicle.
Cruz, 44, has considerable appeal among the Republican Party’s base of conservative voters.
Following his election to the Senate in 2012, the former Texas solicitor general quickly established himself as an uncompromising conservative willing to take on Democrats and Republicans alike. Criticized by members of his own party at times, he won praise from tea party activists for leading the GOP’s push to shut down the federal government during an unsuccessful bid to block funding for President Barack Obama’s health care law.
One of the nation’s top college debaters while a student at Princeton University, Cruz continues to be a leading voice for the law’s repeal. He also promises to abolish the Internal Revenue Service, scrap the Education Department and curtail federal regulators, likening them to locusts.
Read more: Huffington Post
- Colorado Passes New Conceal Carry Bill That Will Have Gun-Grabbers Freaking
- WATCH: Ted Nugent Goes After David Hogg — ‘So Brainwashed’ He Can’t ‘be Fixed’
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- WATCH: The Moment #Ferguson Thug Pulled Out his Gun to Shoot at Cops
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Bill Clinton: NY Times and Trump Colluded to Defeat Hillary
- WATCH: The Video Gun Controllers Are Terrified Of
- Hillary Endorser ARRESTED for Buying Sex with Meth
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- Nikolas Cruz ‘Smiling and Laughing’ in Life Behind Bars
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation