By Bob Owens
I don’t known anything about Washington Post correspondent William Marsden, which means I know as much about Marsden as Marsden does about U.S. firearms laws.
This incontrovertible truth becomes achingly apparent in Marsden’s article attempting to blame American gun laws for Canadian crime, Canadians crack down on guns, alarmed by flow from U.S..
It rapidly goes downhill from the very beginning.
Canada bans most guns and has a minuscule number of gun-related homicides a year. But, worried about smuggled firearms from the United States, its government is preparing to stiffen its already tough gun laws and step up border surveillance.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised new regulations and a string of measures to counter gun smuggling, which is regarded here as a dangerous problem underscoring the United States’ much looser firearm laws.
The move comes as police have discovered an increased number of high-powered handguns, semiautomatic and automatic weapon s in Canadian cities.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news for Mr. Marsden and the “layers of editors and fact-checkers” at the Post, but automatic weapons have been tightly regulated in the United States since 1934, and have been outlawed entirely for civilian manufacture since 1986.
You heard that correctly. Outlawed. For 30 years.
The roughly 250,000 automatic weapons in the United States—one-half of which are owned by law enforcement agencies—are very tightly regulated, requiring an additional layer of background checks conducted by the ATF, a $200 tax stamp, and generally requires at least a 6-month wait before pickup after another NICS check.
Read more: Bearing Arms
- Watch: Mother and Daughter Defeat Armed Robber Because They Carry a Gun
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- CNN Reporter Claims School Shooting Survivor Colton Haab is a Liar
- Report: Father ‘Chained His Twin Daughters in Home, Raped Them and Fathered Their Children’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- Nurse Caught on Camera Laughing as WWII Vet Dies Gasping for Breath
- Thinking Past Step 1: Other Policy Changes to Improve School Security
- Delta and United Airlines Drop Their NRA Connections — Several Other Companies Too
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Nikolas Cruz to Plead GUILTY for Mass Shooting, Will He Avoid Death Penalty?
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- Man Claims He is a ‘9yr-Old Trapped’ in a Man’s Body After Being Arrested for Sexually Assaulting Children