The heroic student who was shot seven times as he charged at the Oregon college gunman has thanked his well-wishers, saying he is ‘overwhelmed by the support’ as donations to his GoFundMe page top $700,000.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, tried to block deranged gunman Chris Harper-Mercer – who murdered nine at Umpqua Community College on Thursday – from entering the classroom as he fired his gun.
Even as he lay on the ground bleeding, the father told the shooter: ‘It’s my son’s birthday.’
His son Tyrik, who has non-verbal autism, turned six on Thursday. After hearing this, Harper-Mercer continued to shoot Mintz.
A fundraising page was set up to help with his recovery and within just over a day it had smashed its target of $10,000 to reach at least $711,160 from around 20,000 well-wishers.
‘Hello everyone, I’m doing well and I’m overwhelmed by the support that I’ve got from everybody,’ Mintz said in a Facebook video from his hospital bed on Saturday.
‘I just want to wish all the other families a safe and speedy recovery and I will be talking to you guys soon, bye bye.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 years in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ his cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
He wrote on Facebook last night: ‘Hope the others injured and their families are doing well, goodnight for me.’
He may however have to undergo more surgeries over the weekend or early next week.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Other students at the college told how Mintz desperately tried to save them from the shooter.
Hannah Miles told ABC News: ‘He ran to the library and pulled the alarms and he was telling people to run, grabbing people, telling them, “You just have to go”.
‘He actually ran back towards the building where the shooting was and he ran back into the building and I don’t know what happened to him.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick
- WATCH: Classmate of Nikolas Cruz Reported Him Multiple Times and Claims ‘He talked about killing our friends’