The heroic student who was shot seven times as he charged at the Oregon college gunman has thanked his well-wishers, saying he is ‘overwhelmed by the support’ as donations to his GoFundMe page top $700,000.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, tried to block deranged gunman Chris Harper-Mercer – who murdered nine at Umpqua Community College on Thursday – from entering the classroom as he fired his gun.
Even as he lay on the ground bleeding, the father told the shooter: ‘It’s my son’s birthday.’
His son Tyrik, who has non-verbal autism, turned six on Thursday. After hearing this, Harper-Mercer continued to shoot Mintz.
A fundraising page was set up to help with his recovery and within just over a day it had smashed its target of $10,000 to reach at least $711,160 from around 20,000 well-wishers.
‘Hello everyone, I’m doing well and I’m overwhelmed by the support that I’ve got from everybody,’ Mintz said in a Facebook video from his hospital bed on Saturday.
‘I just want to wish all the other families a safe and speedy recovery and I will be talking to you guys soon, bye bye.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 years in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ his cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
He wrote on Facebook last night: ‘Hope the others injured and their families are doing well, goodnight for me.’
He may however have to undergo more surgeries over the weekend or early next week.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Other students at the college told how Mintz desperately tried to save them from the shooter.
Hannah Miles told ABC News: ‘He ran to the library and pulled the alarms and he was telling people to run, grabbing people, telling them, “You just have to go”.
‘He actually ran back towards the building where the shooting was and he ran back into the building and I don’t know what happened to him.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- BREAKING: Barcelona Terrorist Found Wearing an Explosive Belt ‘Screaming Allahu Akbar’ — Has Been Shot Down
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- MEXICAN ACTOR WHO HATES TRUMP: Danny Trejo Shows Up to High School, ‘There is a RACE Problem.’
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- Not This Store: Store Owners Stand Guard with AR-15’s to Protect Business from Missouri Rioters
- Girl Describes Horrific Testimony of Escaping North Korea [WATCH]
- BOOM: After Trump’s ‘FAKE NEWS’ Comment, CNN’s Stocks Take a Hit
- John McCain Tight Lipped on His Foundation After Being Busted for Taking Foreign Money from Questionable Sources
- All You Need To Know About “Assault” Rifles
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama