The heroic student who was shot seven times as he charged at the Oregon college gunman has thanked his well-wishers, saying he is ‘overwhelmed by the support’ as donations to his GoFundMe page top $700,000.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, tried to block deranged gunman Chris Harper-Mercer – who murdered nine at Umpqua Community College on Thursday – from entering the classroom as he fired his gun.
Even as he lay on the ground bleeding, the father told the shooter: ‘It’s my son’s birthday.’
His son Tyrik, who has non-verbal autism, turned six on Thursday. After hearing this, Harper-Mercer continued to shoot Mintz.
A fundraising page was set up to help with his recovery and within just over a day it had smashed its target of $10,000 to reach at least $711,160 from around 20,000 well-wishers.
‘Hello everyone, I’m doing well and I’m overwhelmed by the support that I’ve got from everybody,’ Mintz said in a Facebook video from his hospital bed on Saturday.
‘I just want to wish all the other families a safe and speedy recovery and I will be talking to you guys soon, bye bye.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 years in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ his cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
He wrote on Facebook last night: ‘Hope the others injured and their families are doing well, goodnight for me.’
He may however have to undergo more surgeries over the weekend or early next week.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Other students at the college told how Mintz desperately tried to save them from the shooter.
Hannah Miles told ABC News: ‘He ran to the library and pulled the alarms and he was telling people to run, grabbing people, telling them, “You just have to go”.
‘He actually ran back towards the building where the shooting was and he ran back into the building and I don’t know what happened to him.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- When Marco Met Ivanka: The Most Awkward Hug in Political History
- GROSS! What Women are Doing in the Name of Feminism Will Make You Puke
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- Chelsea Clinton Falls For Bannon’s Joke — Goes On Bizarre Twitter Rant
- Terrorist Knifeman Attacks Cop at Airport Shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ [VIDEO]
- Trump Sends Kim Jong-un a Loud and Clear Message After Otto’s Death
- Trevor Noah Targets NRA: ‘How Does a Black Person Not Get Shot in America?’ [VIDEO]
- New Report Exposes Millions of Illegal Immigrants Have Voted in U.S. Elections
- Photo Gallery
- A TRUE HERO: Watch The Moment US Special Forces Soldier-Turned Aid Worker Runs Through GUNFIRE To Save A Child From ISIS
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…