The heroic student who was shot seven times as he charged at the Oregon college gunman has thanked his well-wishers, saying he is ‘overwhelmed by the support’ as donations to his GoFundMe page top $700,000.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, tried to block deranged gunman Chris Harper-Mercer – who murdered nine at Umpqua Community College on Thursday – from entering the classroom as he fired his gun.
Even as he lay on the ground bleeding, the father told the shooter: ‘It’s my son’s birthday.’
His son Tyrik, who has non-verbal autism, turned six on Thursday. After hearing this, Harper-Mercer continued to shoot Mintz.
A fundraising page was set up to help with his recovery and within just over a day it had smashed its target of $10,000 to reach at least $711,160 from around 20,000 well-wishers.
‘Hello everyone, I’m doing well and I’m overwhelmed by the support that I’ve got from everybody,’ Mintz said in a Facebook video from his hospital bed on Saturday.
‘I just want to wish all the other families a safe and speedy recovery and I will be talking to you guys soon, bye bye.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 years in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ his cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
He wrote on Facebook last night: ‘Hope the others injured and their families are doing well, goodnight for me.’
He may however have to undergo more surgeries over the weekend or early next week.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Other students at the college told how Mintz desperately tried to save them from the shooter.
Hannah Miles told ABC News: ‘He ran to the library and pulled the alarms and he was telling people to run, grabbing people, telling them, “You just have to go”.
‘He actually ran back towards the building where the shooting was and he ran back into the building and I don’t know what happened to him.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Bro Swims Out to GREAT WHITE SHARK…Watch What Happens
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- Authorities Confirm: 4 Times More People Killed with a Blade Than a Rifle
- Trump Takes Aim at Obama’s Iran Nuclear Deal, Preparing to…
- WATCH: Burglar is BUSTED by Dallas Police, Homeowner Compiles the CCTV Footage in HILARIOUS Remix
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral