The heroic student who was shot seven times as he charged at the Oregon college gunman has thanked his well-wishers, saying he is ‘overwhelmed by the support’ as donations to his GoFundMe page top $700,000.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, tried to block deranged gunman Chris Harper-Mercer – who murdered nine at Umpqua Community College on Thursday – from entering the classroom as he fired his gun.
Even as he lay on the ground bleeding, the father told the shooter: ‘It’s my son’s birthday.’
His son Tyrik, who has non-verbal autism, turned six on Thursday. After hearing this, Harper-Mercer continued to shoot Mintz.
A fundraising page was set up to help with his recovery and within just over a day it had smashed its target of $10,000 to reach at least $711,160 from around 20,000 well-wishers.
‘Hello everyone, I’m doing well and I’m overwhelmed by the support that I’ve got from everybody,’ Mintz said in a Facebook video from his hospital bed on Saturday.
‘I just want to wish all the other families a safe and speedy recovery and I will be talking to you guys soon, bye bye.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 years in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ his cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
He wrote on Facebook last night: ‘Hope the others injured and their families are doing well, goodnight for me.’
He may however have to undergo more surgeries over the weekend or early next week.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Other students at the college told how Mintz desperately tried to save them from the shooter.
Hannah Miles told ABC News: ‘He ran to the library and pulled the alarms and he was telling people to run, grabbing people, telling them, “You just have to go”.
‘He actually ran back towards the building where the shooting was and he ran back into the building and I don’t know what happened to him.’
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- GROSS: Michelle Tells Crowd She’s A Sex Symbol — And It Blows Up In Her Face
- ALLAH ADIOS! Muslim Migrants FINALLY Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- WATCH: Kate Steinle Memorial Ruined by Violent Antifa Protesters
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- REPORT: ‘Nasty Woman’ Throws Her Used TAMPON at a Police Officer
- Shady Lady Elizabeth Warren ‘Forgets’ to Disclose $1.3MIL Line of Credit Given to Her by…
- WATCH: Obama Thanks Himself for Trump’s Growing Economy
- Not So Scary Now: Video Captures ISIS Militants Screaming Like Babies During Battle
- ‘Definitely Terrorism’: NYC Suicide Bomber Captured Alive [VIDEO]
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- BADASS: Bear Gets Into Bloody Fight With Wolves Over Deer Carcass–And The Winner Was…
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- WATCH: Flag Burning Libtards Get The Full Wrath of an American Patriot–Fight Breaks Out
- Kate Steinle’s Killer is Now Being Targeted by ICE
- A TASTE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE: Syrian Rebels Release a Video of Them Shooting Islamic State Militants
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- Trump Wins: Bill Moves Forward to Expose Congressional Sexual Harassers
- Obama Whines, Claims He ‘Suffered Racism’ While Holding Presidential Office