Detroit resident Darrell Standberry doesn’t navigate streets of the Motor City without his licensed handgun, and it already has saved his life once.
“I never leave home without my weapon,” he said. “You never know when or what you’ll encounter.”
In a city plagued by chronic unemployment and crime and guarded by a dwindling police force, residents of Detroit are increasingly taking protection of themselves, their families and property into their own hands. Those who do so responsibly have the blessing and backing of Detroit Police Chief James Craig.“When you look at the city of Detroit, we’re kind of leading the way in terms of urban areas with law-abiding citizens carrying guns,” Craig said recently.
The chief’s call to arms, which first came in December, 2013, has been answered by thousands of men and women tired of being victims and eager to reclaim their beleaguered city. In 2014, some new 1,169 handgun permits were issued, while 8,102 guns were registered with Detroit’s police department – many to prior permit holders who bought new firearms. So for in 2015, nearly 500 permits have issued by the department and more than 5,000 guns have been registered.
“There’s definitely been a “Chief Craig” effect,” Rick Ector, a firearms instructor who runs the blog Legally Armed in Detroit. “His support and endorsement has been helpful.”
Obtaining a concealed-carry permit in the state of Michigan is not difficult compared to states with stricter gun laws. Eligible citizens can meet the state’s training requirement in eight hours, and firearms academies and gun shops within the city offer one-day courses for as little as $99.
Ector said that he and other instructors have seen a steady rise in locals looking to get a permit, to protect themselves either on the street or in their homes. While data showing a relation between increased gun ownership and the crime rate is not available, Ector said legally armed residents are having an effect.
“Home invasions have gone down,” he said. “A huge reason was that there was a huge spate of homeowners using their guns against intruders. More people have guns and it’s making burglars cautious.”
The firearms instructor said women are driving growth in his business.
“It used to be that we would only have one or two women in a class,” he said. “Now we are seeing much, much more. This past May, I held a class where we trained 300 ladies.”
Read more: Fox News
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- Syrians React to Trump’s Bombing of Airbase… LOVE What the President Did
- BACON BATTALION: ISIS Militants KILLED by Unexpected Fighters
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- VETPAW: Anti-Poaching Unit Shut-Down because this Woman Said…
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’