Eight of the 10 men reportedly jailed for the attempted assassination of Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai were acquitted, it has emerged.
In April, officials in Pakistan said that 10 Taliban fighters had been found guiltyand received 25-year jail terms.
But sources have now confirmed to the BBC that only two of the men who stood trial were convicted.
The secrecy surrounding the trial, which was held behind closed doors, raised suspicions over its validity.
The court judgement – seen for the first time on Friday more than a month after the trial – claims that the two men convicted were those who shot Ms Yousafzai in 2012.
It was previously thought that both the gunmen and the man who ordered the attack had fled to Afghanistan.
Muneer Ahmed, a spokesman for the Pakistani High Commission in London, said on Friday that the eight men were acquitted because of a lack of evidence.
Saleem Marwat, the district police chief in Swat, Pakistan, separately confirmed that only two men had been convicted.
Mr Ahmed claimed that the original court judgement made it clear only two men had been convicted and blamed the confusion on misreporting.
But Sayed Naeem, a public prosecutor in Swat, told the Associated Press news agency after the trial: “Each militant got 25 years in jail. It is life in prison for the 10 militants who were tried by an anti-terrorist court.” In Pakistan, a life sentence is 25 years.
The acquittals emerged after reporters from the London-based Daily Mirror attempted to locate the 10 convicted men in prisons in Pakistan.
The whereabouts of the eight acquitted men is not known.
The trial was held at a military facility rather than a court and was shrouded in secrecy, a Pakistani security source told the BBC. Anti-terrorism trials in Pakistan are not open to the public.
Pakistani authorities did not make the judgement available at any stage, nor did they correct the reports over the past two months that 10 men had been convicted.
Read more: BBC
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- President Trump Believes Teachers Should be Armed to “Immediately” Shoot Sickos — Do You Agree?
- WATCH: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallon Just Performed the Most Epic Lip Sync Battle
- IT’S RACIST: CNN Anchor Calls for the Removal of the Jefferson Memorial Because…
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- Lutheran Church Celebrates Transgender Pastor’s Transition, Throws a ‘Renaming’ Ceremony
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- The cop-killer bullet myth
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Religion Of Peacer RAPES Little Girl, Years Later She Returns … With A VENGEANCE
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment