The illegal immigrant accused of shooting and killing a San Francisco woman in front of her father appeared in court on Tuesday as Hillary Clinton joined figures from across the political spectrum in condemning the city’s decision to release him before the crime.
Juan Francisco Lopez Sanchez pleaded not guilty to murdering Kathryn Steinle as she walked on Pier 14 with her father. His public defender Matt Gonzalez said the shooting last week appeared to be an ‘accident’ and Sanchez claims the rifle ‘went off in his hands’.
The San Francisco chronicle claims that the rifle used to kill Miss Steinle had been stolen from an federal agent’s car in June. It adds to other reports that Sanchez had been using it to shoot at seals.
Sanchez’s alleged crime follows controversial comments by Donald Trump against illegal immigrants which have brought the debate on how they should be handled to the fore.
And on Tuesday Hillary Clinton commented on Sanchez’s case, telling CNN: ‘The city made a mistake, not to deport someone that the federal government strongly felt should be deported.’
Donald Trump has called the crime a ‘disgrace’ numerous other political figures have added their condemnation.
In jailhouse interviews with two television stations, Sanchez said he found a gun wrapped in a shirt on the pier and it went off in his hands.
‘This was an act of random violence, shooting an innocent victim in the back’ prosecutor Dianna Garcia told the judge, arguing against releasing Sanchez on bail.
The judge set bail at $5 million, which Gonzalez said will keep Sanchez jailed pending trial.
A downcast Sanchez spent most of the hearing with his head bowed, appearing to fight back tear while the judge explained the charge to him. Sanchez was aided by a Spanish-language interpreter and entered his plea in Spanish.
Outside court, his attorney said Sanchez has a second-grade education and a non-violent criminal record of low-level drug arrests and immigration violations.
He could face life in prison if convicted.
Leading Democrats – including San Francisco’s former mayor Senator Dianne Feinstein – are joining mounting criticism of the city’s policy of refusing to cooperate with federal immigration officials when they request help in detaining a suspect thought to be in the country illegally.
The comments on Tuesday involved the release last month of Lopez Sanchez.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Imran Awan Allegedly Steals House Democrats’ Laptops, is Arrested; DWS Fights With Capitol Police — This is Big
- Dude Goes on Streaking Rampage After Cutting Off His Penis While High on Drugs [Video]
- Hollywood Freaks After Trump Declares No Transgendered People to Serve in Military: ‘You just pissed off the wrong community.’
- Alert: 18 ‘ISIS Fighters’ Have Been Executed in Libya
- Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Staffer Tries Fleeing Country After FBI Seize Bashed in Hard Drives
- FBI Grabs Smashed Hard Drives from Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s IT Aides
- Fast & Furious Eric Holder Attacks Trump for Corruption
- Illegal Immigrant in New York Charged with Raping 12yr-Old Girl More than Once
- Trump Says No To Trans People In The Military
- RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel Warns DWS Obstructed Potential National Security Threat [VIDEO]
- SANCTUARY CITY: Releases Dominican Accused of CHILD RAPE
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- Trump’s Travel Ban Stops a MAJOR THREAT — But You Won’t Hear the MSM Talking About It
- Regis and Her Father on Fox and Friends
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- Watch: CNN’s Poppy Harlow Confuses American National Anthem for French Anthem