The remains of seven crew members missing since the USS Oklahoma capsized in the 1941 Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor have been identified, the military said Monday.
The names of the servicemen identified using dental records will be released after their families have been notified.
In June, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency began digging up the remains of nearly 400 USS Oklahoma sailors and Marines from a veterans cemetery in Honolulu where they were buried as “unknowns.”
Within five years, officials expect to identify about 80 percent of the Oklahoma crew members still considered missing.
The military says it started the project because advances in forensic science and technology are improving the ability to identify remains.
Read more: CBS News
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- ICE Reveals Illegal Alien May Have Caused Devastating California Fires
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Democrat Behind Slain Soldier Controversy, ‘I’m a Rockstar Now’ [VIDEO]
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- ALL THE SECRETS? JFK Assassination Files to be Released
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Man Who Identifies as a Woman Heads to Trial for Sexually Assaulting Little Girl in Bathroom
- CONFIRMED: FBI Says Comey Did Draft Letter On Clinton Before Completing the Investigation
- EDEN: A True Story of Sex Slavery in Nevada
- University Cop Shot in the Back of the Head
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech
- Conceal Carrier Avoids Deadly Armed Robbery With One Quick Move [WATCH]