When Islamic State fighters overran a string of Iraqi cities last year, analysts at United States Central Command wrote classified assessments for military intelligence officials and policy makers that documented the humiliating retreat of the Iraqi Army. But before the assessments were final, former intelligence officials said, the analysts’ superiors made significant changes.
In the revised documents, the Iraqi Army had not retreated at all. The soldiers had simply “redeployed.”
Such changes are at the heart of an expanding internal Pentagon investigation of Centcom, as Central Command is known, where analysts say that supervisors revised conclusions to mask some of the American military’s failures in training Iraqi troops and beating back the Islamic State. The analysts say supervisors were particularly eager to paint a more optimistic picture of America’s role in the conflict than was warranted.
In recent weeks, the Pentagon inspector general seized a large trove of emails and documents from military servers as it examines the claims, and has added more investigators to the inquiry.
The attacks in Paris last week were a deadly demonstration that the Islamic State, once a group of militants focused on seizing territory in Iraq and Syria, has broadened its focus to attack the West. The electronic files seized in the Pentagon investigation tell the story of the group’s rise, as seen through the eyes of Centcom, which oversees military operations across the Middle East.
The exact content of those documents is unclear and may not become public because so much of the information is classified. But military officials have told Congress that some of those emails and documents may have been deleted before they had to be turned over to investigators, according to a senior congressional official, who requested anonymity to speak about the ongoing inquiry. Current and former officials have separately made similar claims, on condition of anonymity, to The New York Times. Although lawmakers are demanding answers about those claims, it is not clear that the inspector general has been able to verify them. A spokeswoman for the inspector general declined to comment.
Staff members at the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence are also poring over years of Centcom intelligence reports and comparing them to assessments from the Central Intelligence Agency, the Defense Intelligence Agency and others. The committee is not just examining reports about Iraq, Syria and the Islamic State, but also about Afghanistan and other areas under Centcom’s purview. The insurrection inside Centcom is an important chapter in the story of how the United States responded to the growing threat from the Islamic State. This past summer, a group of Centcom analysts took concerns about their superiors to the inspector general, saying they had evidence that senior officials had changed intelligence assessments to overstate the progress of American airstrikes against the Islamic State, also known as ISIS.
The analysts said problems in Iraq were rooted in deep political and religious divides that could not easily be solved with a military campaign, current and former officials have said. Yet Centcom’s official posture remained generally upbeat.
It is not clear whether the Centcom assessments significantly changed the Obama administration’s views about ISIS. While Centcom was largely positive about American gains, other agencies have been more pessimistic. The White House has generally been measured in its assessments.
But President Obama and senior intelligence officials have acknowledged that the Islamic State’s rapid emergence caught them by surprise. At the least, the prospect that senior officials intentionally skewed intelligence conclusions has raised questions about how much Mr. Obama, Congress and the public can believe the military’s assessments.
Read more: NY Times
- Watch: Chuck Schumer Hammered on Senate Floor for Lying About Trump Being Under Investigation
- Millions Of Gun Owners About To Be Criminals Starting July 1st
- Is This How Otto Warmbier Was Put In A Comma? Leaked Footage Shows North Korean Officials Beating A Woman Senseless For…
- Smug Thug Smirking While Widow Testifies During Murder Trial is Destroyed by Judge [Watch]
- Student Going to Jail for Registering Dead People as Democratic Voters
- BREAKING: Republicans Delay Health Care Vote, Not Enough…
- London Women Targeted for Continuous Acid Attacks
- Snowflake Alert! University Now Has ‘Emotional Risk’ Assessment For Student Events
- John McCain Tight Lipped on His Foundation After Being Busted for Taking Foreign Money from Questionable Sources
- ISIS Forces Sex Slave to EAT Her 1yr-Old Son
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- WaPo Publishes Fact-less Story Thomas Jefferson ‘Celebrated Ramadan’
- Clinton Foundation Busted for Taking $1MIL from Qatar and ‘Forgetting’ to Tell Gov. About It
- CNN Employees Resign After Fake News Scandal
- Black Trump Supporter Demolishes Maxine Waters — “You Have Destroyed the Black Community!”
- Watch: Thug Couple Beats Restaurant Owner and Her Daughter Over ‘Cold Chicken’
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- EXCLUSIVE: American Patriot & [email protected] Chuck Taylor Discusses Defensive Handgun Shooting [WATCH]