The Pentagon is expected to submit to Congress on Tuesday President Barack Obama’s long-awaited plan for closing the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo, setting up a battle with lawmakers who oppose his efforts.
Obama, whose pledge to shut the facility at the U.S. naval base in Cuba dates back to the start of his presidency in 2009, is seeking to make good on his plan before he leaves office next January.
Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said the administration intended to meet Tuesday’s deadline for sending Congress a proposal for closing the facility. There are still 91 prisoners detained there.
“We understand the deadline is tomorrow and it’s our intent to meet it,” Davis told a press briefing on Monday. “We’re working on it and intend to submit it soon.”
Read more: Yahoo News
- New York: MS-13 Announces Head Hunt on Police in Wanna-Be Sanctuary State, ‘Take Out a Cop’
- U.S., Mexico Border: Caravan of Refugees Show Up, Asking for Asylum
- AUDIO: Police Release Starbucks Recording that Proves Racism is NOT the Issue, Entitlement is
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- BREAKING: Massive Gun Grab is About to Rock 4.2 Million Social Security Recipients’ World
- David Hogg’s Newest “Boycott” Immediately Shutdown by Pro-Gun Activist Kyle Kashuv
- Lindsey Graham: Russia Probe to be ‘Considered a CRIMINAL Investigation’
- Barbara Bush Hating Professor: ‘Why I Can’t Stand White Belly Dancers’
- Bill Clinton: NY Times and Trump Colluded to Defeat Hillary
- Illinois: County Declares Itself ‘Sanctuary County’ for Gun Owners
- WATCH: Dude PUNCHES Chick in the Face — Was it Justified?
- WATCH: Obama JOKES About Scalia’s Death
- Will You Sign? Jimmy Kimmel Boycott has Over 150,000 Signatures — All Started When Kimmel Mocked FLOTUS
- 2 Men Guilty of Gang Raping 13-Year-Old Girl Sentenced to Probation
- EXPOSED: Trump ‘Groping’ Claims DEBUNKED By The Details–Spread The Word!
- DEAR AMERICA: Should Donald Trump ACCEPT This Executive Order on the Second Amendment?