A cop left in hospital after being pistol-whipped in the head with his own weapon during a traffic stop in Alabama said he was afraid to use force in case of a backlash against him.
Speaking anonymously, the officer, who has been a cop for six years, said he hesitated to pull his weapon on the unarmed black suspect in case he was vilified in the wake of the Ferguson shooting.
The suspect, Janard Cunningham, 34, is now in jail accused of attacking the officer after becoming aggressive during a routine traffic stop in Roebuck, Birmingham, last week.
Speaking to CNN, the plainclothes detective said: ‘A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what’s going on in the media. I hesitated because I didn’t want to be in the media like I am right now.
‘We don’t want to be in the media. It’s hard times right now for us.’
Heath Boackle, a sergeant with the Birmingham Police Department and president of the local Fraternal Order of Police, agreed.
He told the New York Daily News: ‘Local law enforcement officers are walking on egg shells because they’re so hesitant of how to interact because of what’s taking place in the media.
‘They’re losing these confrontations. He who hesitates is lost.’
The detective had been investigating a series of burglaries last Friday when he spotted Cunningham driving erratically in a GMC Yukon down the freeway and pulled him over.
The cop called for backup, but before other officers could arrive Cunnigham had disobeyed an order to stay in the car and began getting aggressive.
The detective said he thought about reaching for his weapon, but carried on his backup call instead, at which point Cunningham is alleged to have sucker-punched him.
Cunningham then grabbed the officer’s weapon himself, before hitting him over the head with the butt of the weapon until he fell unconscious, police say.
Images of the officer’s unconscious body went viral over the weekend after people began mocking him online.
One Twitter user posted an image of the cop’s limp body along with the caption ‘pistol whipped his a** to sleep #FckDaPolice’.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Congress Demands Trump Fire his ‘White Supremacist’ Advisers
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- Building the World’s Smallest 10mm Pistol
- BEN CARSON: Just Dropped this BOMB on Obama’s Lap [WATCH]
- JORAN VAN DER SLOOT: ‘Confesses’ to Murdering Natalee Holloway in Undercover Video
- ‘I Can’t Thank You Enough’: Wounded Vet Surprises Gary Sinise During Interview [VIDEO]