Donald Trump added 99 delegates to his Republican National Convention total on Tuesday night with a crushing victory in Florida’s Republican primary election that will bring new calls for Sen. Marco Rubio to end his White House bid.
The state’s winner-take-all rules, shared by Ohio’s Tuesday primary matchup, translate to a windfall of spoils for The Donald, and a world of hurt for Rubio.
But the results in the two contests couldn’t be more different. Florida was a Trump-friendly bloodbath. Ohio’s race looked to be a rare defeat for him at the hands of Gov. John Kasich.
Election watchers called the Florida race for Trump at 8:00, once polls in the state’s panhandle region – which is part of a separate time zone – closed for the night.
With 71 per cent of votes counted, Trump had collected 45.3 per cent – a seemingly insurmountable lead of more than 284,000 votes over home-state-senator Rubio, who sat in second place with 27.7 per cent.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz sat in third place with 16.4 per cent. Ohio Gov. John Kasich brought up the rear with 6.6 per cent.
Trump was his usual overstated self on Twitter, writing: ‘Word is that, despite a record amount spent on negative and phony ads, I had a massive victory in Florida. Numbers out soon!’
The front-runner also opened up an early lead in North Carolina after the first 12 per cent of votes were tallied, collecting 41.5 per cent of the vote compared to Cruz’s 33.6 per cent.
Kasich and Rubio were far, far in the distance.
The earliest returns in Ohio, representing 8 per cent of votes, showed Kasich with a 13-point lead over Trump.
That could change as different regions of the state turn in their totals.
Kasich was expected to perform better in his home state than Rubio did in his own, but he never led by more than 5 percentage points in statewide polls.
Trump will hold a press conference at his luxurious Mar-a-Lago private club in Palm Beach. The event is scheduled for 9:00 at night.
But it will resemble a campaign rally more than a media event. Reporters and camera crews were kept behind nearly 500 chairs set up for Mar-a-Lago members and Trump’s high-society friends.
Read more: Daily Mail
- OBAMA: ‘People Will Look Back… And See I Was Right And Trump Was Wrong’
- CA Democrats Want to Spend $1 Billion So Illegal Immigrants Can Have…
- 90,000 Christians Killed Because of Faith and Joy Behar Decides to Mock Them [VIDEO]
- LMAO: Watch Nancy Pelosi’s Face at the Moment Trump Said, an ‘Imploding Obamacare Disaster’
- WATCH: CNN Anchor Says Americans Should Wear HIJABS to Show Solidarity to Fearful Muslims
- WATCH: Chicago Declared ‘Trump-Free Zone’
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied Claims ‘Islam is The MOST Feminist Religion’
- CNN Reporter SHAMES 12yr-Old Girls for Not Wanting to See ‘Penises’ in Their Locker Rooms — Preaches Tolerance for…
- REVEALED: Obama’s State Department Made Deal with Hillary Clinton to Keep Certain Documents Secret
- TRUMP: Democrats Using Fabricated Stories from Women After Failed Russia Collusion Case
- Off-Duty Officer Pulls Gun & Fires During Altercation with Group of Teens — Should He Be Punished?
- Feminist Lawyer Attempted to Bribe Women Who Accused Trump of Sexual Misconduct
- POLL: TV Host Suggests Obama be Brought Back from Overseas by U.S. Marshals After What He Did to Trump — Do You Agree?
- Arkansas Might Remove the Clinton’s Name from Their Airport — Should They Do It?
- Thug Grabs the Wrong Girl’s Butt, Gets KNOCKED OUT in Viral Video
- WATCH: Sarah Palin Says She’s Never Been Sexually Harassed Because Everyone Knows She Has a…
- WATCH: Female ISIS Captives Remove Their Veils and BURN Them