Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has maintained his grip on the race for the 2016 GOP nomination in the swing states of Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, but retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson performs best among the Republicans in general election match-ups, according to polling released Wednesday by Quinnipiac University.
“Those who were waiting for Donald Trump’s campaign to collapse will need to wait longer — at least in the three key states of Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania,” said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.
Mr. Trump led the GOP field in Florida with 28 percent — up from 21 percent in August. Mr. Carson was next at 16 percent, followed by Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida at 14 percent, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush at 12 percent, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina at 7 percent and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas at 6 percent.
Though Mr. Trump led the field, 29 percent of Republicans also said they would “definitely not” support him.
Mr. Trump also had a negative 35 percent/57 percent favorable/unfavorable split among general election voters, with 54 percent of voters saying he is not honest and trustworthy.
Mr. Trump trailed Vice President Joseph R. Biden, former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont by 14 points, 5 points, and 5 points, respectively. Mr. Carson, meanwhile, trailed Mr. Biden by 3 points, trailed Mrs. Clinton by 2 points and beat Mr. Sanders by 6 points — better margins than any other Republican.
In Ohio, Mr. Trump was at 23 percent among Republicans, compared to 21 percent in August. Mr. Carson was at 18 percent, followed by native son Gov. John Kasich at 13 percent, Mr. Cruz at 11 percent, Mrs. Fiorina at 10 percent, Mr. Rubio at 7 percent and Mr. Bush at 4 percent.
Twenty-nine percent of Republicans in Ohio said they would definitely not support Mr. Trump.
Read more: Washington Times
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- What Is An Assault Rifle?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Uranium One Informant: Moscow Paid Millions to Influence Clinton’s Favorability
- Chicago Police Commander Killed by Felon in Downtown Chicago
- WATCH: ABC’s Pathetic Attempt to Connect White House Rob Porter Drama with Florida Massacre
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: ‘Blue’ is the Best Documentary Against the Green Movement — Proves How They are Destroying the Earth
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer