Pope Francis has arrived in Havana this afternoon and starts a historic 10-day visit to Cuba and the United States, according to reports.
Cuban President Raul Castro welcomed Pope Francis in a long speech at the airport. In his speech, Castro said the communist government has “founded an equitable society with social justice” in Cuba and he praised the pope’s critiques of the global economic system that has “globalized capital and turned money into its idol.”
Castro thanked the pope for facilitating negotiations that led to a detente between the United States and Cuba. Castro is also calling for the end of the U.S. trade embargo on Cuba, which he called “cruel, immoral and illegal,” and the return of the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay.
Castro praised his country’s socialist model for building a society “focused on human beings and the family” and said he’s “firmly determined to … build a just and virtuous society with high ethical and spiritual values.”
“As the honorable priest Félix Varela indicated, ‘We want the future generations to inherit from us the dignity of man, and to remember what it takes to recover it so that they fear losing it,'” said Castro, according to a translation of his remarks.
Cubans, who live in a country frequently cited for human rights abuses, “exercise religious freedom as a right consecrated in our Constitution,” Castro claimed.
The holy leader of the Catholic Church will be in Cuba until Sept. 22 when he departs for Washington. While in Cuba, the Pope could have some politics on his plate, the Associated Press reported.
Vatican officials told the Associated Press that the plight of dissidents might come up in private meetings between Francis and the country’s leader Raul Castro.
The pope has been opposed to the long-standing U.S. trade and travel embargo. New regulations issued on Friday are intended to increase travel and trade between the U.S. and Cuba.
Read more: Washington Examiner
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- Poll: David Hogg Has Officially Become Irrelevant — Do You LOVE This?
- BREAKING: FBI, DOJ Broke Law in Clinton Email Probe — Inspector General Declares
- Formerly Known Boy Scouts Loses Over 400,000 Members
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- #WarriorChick: Female University Graduate Carries AR-10 on Campus
- Rape Victim’s Revenge: Woman Cuts Off Her Rapist’s Penis, Flushes it Down the Toilet and Beats Him to Death with a Hammer
- RETALIATION: Egypt Bombs the Cr*p out of the Islamic State in Response to the Beheadings of Coptic Christians
- ‘Caravan’ of Refugees Climb U.S.-Mexico Border While Chanting, “Yes We Can!”
- Santa Fe School Shooter Killed High School Crush During Attack
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- ISIS Teen in North Texas Plotted Mass Shooting: ‘I Want America In The State Europe Is In’
- WATCH: Liberal Politician Wants to Make it Illegal to Manufacture Semi-Automatic Rifles, ‘Get Them Out Of Our Communities’
- Haiti Tells Clinton Foundation to Keep Their Charity–Don’t Want ANOTHER Scam
- BLACK MEN ARE GODS: Jay Z Reps Bling from the Five Percent Nation Religious Group
- Watch: Sexuality Expert Says Parents Need to ask Permission to Change Baby’s Diaper
- THE ARSENAL: Where the Islamic State Gets Its Weapons