The First Church of Cannabis which preaches the healing powers of pot has won its right to spread its groovy gospel.
Bill Levin, 59, founded the church on March 26 and it has already clocked up over 700 members.
Members of the congregation, called “Cannabiterians,” say they smoke marijuana to connect more closely with themselves and others.
They pay £30 ($50) for a 12-month membership and sell “Holy Rollers” rolling paper to raise money for the church.
The church has weed instead of wine and a “pooh-bah” in place of a pastor, who preaches the power of weed to heal the world.
And last month, the Internal Revenue Service deemed the Indianapolis-based church a charity.
Bill told Yahoo News: “We don’t want to poison people. We want to see them healthy. And cannabis is the healthiest plant on Earth.
Worshippers believe in the “Deity Dozen” – a list of 12 tenets for living a good life – which is the cannabis congregation’s equivalent of the Ten Commandments:
- Don’t be an a***hole. Treat everyone with love, as an equal.
- The day starts with your smile every morning. When you get up, wear it first.
- Help others when you can. Not for money, but because it’s needed.
- Treat your body as a temple. Do not poison it with poor quality foods and sodas.
- Do not take advantage of people. Do not intentionally hurt anything.
Read more: mirror.co.uk