Despite their claims to be bastions of free thought and free speech and a comfort zone for those discussing a wide range of theories and philosophies, colleges and universities in America have a reputation for deciding what free speech to allow.
Just ask the workers at The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, who routinely fight university boards and managers who crack down on the First Amendment rights of their studcents.
Now one state lawmaker in Washington state is going a step further, proposing a financial penalty for violating the Constitution, according to a new report in The Extract.
The report said, “For one Republican state representative in Washington, his concern translated to action in the form of targeted legislation he hopes will help preserve free speech on college campuses across his state.”
The bill he drafted includes a fine of at least $500 for a university’s “active suppression of students’ First Amendment rights,” the report said. And it would grow by $50 per day until the violation is removed.
“I think that much of America watched with horror as events unfolded at Yale and the University of Missouri this year,” Rep. Matt Manweller told the Extract.
Read more: wnd.com
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Photo Gallery
- RECRUITERS TOLD NOT TO WEAR UNIFORMS: This Soldier Thinks That’s Bullsh-t
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Harpy Feminist Cries Dunkirk is too ‘Manly’
- Alert: High School Shooting, One Dead and Multiple Wounded
- Border Patrol Union President: ‘Miraculous’ Drop in Border Crossing with President Trump