Call it the Quake on the Lake.
Hopping shirtless in a pair of red silk trunks, former presidential candidate Mitt Romney faced off against World Heavyweight Champion fighter Evander Holyfield for a boxing match here Friday, a spectacle few would have predicted three years ago. The bout was arranged to raise money for Charity Vision, an organization that provides surgeries to heal blindness.
For two rounds, Romney, 68, and Holyfield, 52, went head-to-head, each landing gentle blows that appeared more like a tickle fight than a boxing match. Although Holyfield took a tumble on the mat, Romney’s corner threw in the towel in second round.
The bout didn’t reach Foreman vs. Ali levels of sports history, but the sight of the last runner-up in the race for the White House dancing his way around a ring elevated it to must-watch status.
To prepare for the Main Event, Romney trained with the Fullmer Brothers Boxing Gym–with Holyfield’s help. He walked into the ring in a red robe while the song, “I Will Survive” blared over the sound system. His wife, Ann, joined him, wearing a Batman baseball cap on sideways.
As a friendly event for charity, Romney knew Holyfield wouldn’t engage with full force.
“The good news is that Evander Holyfield always hits above the belt, and sometimes in politics that isn’t the way things are done,” Romney told CNN.
The day before the fight, the duo met for a traditional stare-down ceremony, where Romney weighed in at 179 points. His champion opponent put 236 pounds onto the scale.
“He’s the oldest person that I ever fought. He’s the smallest person I ever fought,” Holyfield told CNN. “I’ve got a lot of respect for that.”
During the match former Massachusetts governor ducked and dodged his way around Holyfield’s mighty-yet restrained–arms, and even got a few soft blows in himself.
“For a man who’s never got in the ring to box, he can throw a jab,” Holyfield said. “He can move around. I was impressed.”
Read more: CNN
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- President Trump Believes Teachers Should be Armed to “Immediately” Shoot Sickos — Do You Agree?
- WATCH: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallon Just Performed the Most Epic Lip Sync Battle
- IT’S RACIST: CNN Anchor Calls for the Removal of the Jefferson Memorial Because…
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- Lutheran Church Celebrates Transgender Pastor’s Transition, Throws a ‘Renaming’ Ceremony
- Artist Who Painted Obama’s Portrait LOVES to Paint White Women Being Beheaded
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- The cop-killer bullet myth
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- Religion Of Peacer RAPES Little Girl, Years Later She Returns … With A VENGEANCE
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment