As Chicago continues its long, slow, march toward becoming the new Detroit, there are a few things you can count on. Crime will go up, services will suffer, and progressives will demand more tribute from their subjects. They’ll argue that increased taxation will save the city, they’ll hike rates, and then they’ll learnthat their refusal to solve underlying budgetary issues will only speed the implosion.
This has been the standard playbook employed by virtually every destitute left-wing dystopia in the United States and, lo-and-behold, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is doing everything in his power to make sure his city follows suit.
He’s proposing a slew of new taxes, including a massive $500 million property tax increase – a modern-era record – which will fund “most” of next year’s city budget gap. As CBS Chicago reports, residents are less than thrilled:
Seventy people spoke in 100 minutes during the meeting, at Wright College in the Dunning neighborhood on the Northwest Side. Those who couldn’t be succinct were cut off before they had a chance to make their point; but plenty did so, mostly airing a variety of complaints.
A handful of people voiced outrage about a proposal to fill most of next year’s budget gap through a $500 million property tax hike.
“You raise the taxes, you’ll see a mass exodus of people getting the hell out of this goddamn city,” one man shouted.
Earlier in the day, the mayor defended his push for a major property tax hike, acknowledging it would be a tough pill to swallow for taxpayers, but saying it’s necessary to shore up police and firefighter pension funds, restore the city’s worst-in-the-nation bond rating, and solve the city’s long-standing financial crisis.
“This will be, obviously, difficult. And I don’t underestimate the difficulty. That’s why it’s going to be done in the most fair and progressive manner,” the mayor said.
Read more: caintv.com
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- What Is An Assault Rifle?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- GARY SINISE SHUTS DOWN LARRY KING: On Gun Control in the CLASSIEST Way Possible and We Love It [WATCH]
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall
- Watch: ‘Blue’ is the Best Documentary Against the Green Movement — Proves How They are Destroying the Earth
- Women’s Concealed Carry: Where Do We Hide the Gun?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer