By Shayna Lopez-Rivas
As someone who was raped once on campus, I’m convinced that women should have the legal right to carry firearms to defend themselves from violent attack. I won’t go into the horrific details of what happened to me. If you want to know more, my experience is plastered all over the internet if you search my name. What I want to discuss now is how the State of Florida disagrees with my belief that I should carry a gun for self-defense wherever I go, including on my campus. I know from experience that criminals ignore laws. Rape is illegal and yet I’m sure my rapist didn’t care about the law. I don’t want to be raped again because I was forced by law to leave my gun, the best tool I have for self-defense, in my car. No one should. Unfortunately, politicians are making more victims as elected officials trade favors.
That sounds harsh, but you don’t know the half of it. I have expressed my opinion publicly and have been shocked by the response of gun rights opponents. Let me give a big shout out to the opponents of civilian self-defense and campus carry. They are the ones who gave me a real public education this year.
Thank you to those who tweeted me and Facebooked me advocating that I be murdered for my beliefs. Thank you to everyone who has said I should be killed in a drone strike. Thank you to the people who called me a liar, called me a daytime soap opera writer, and called me a mouthpiece for the gun lobby.
Here is a BIG THANK YOU to those who believe I should be raped again because I advocate self-defense!
Thank you for sending me these vile messages to me each week: you have taught me so much about you, as individuals, and about the anti-gun movement as a whole.
Opponents of gun rights bring up their own fears of immature behavior as a reason for restricting gun ownership by honest citizens. This year I watched as a prominent student gun opponent was arrested for buying cocaine from an undercover cop. That sounds pretty immature to me.
Gun opponents say they want less violence. Yet these same opponents simultaneously advocate that gun owners be murdered and rape survivors be viciously attacked. I would not have believed it if I hadn’t lived it.
Read more: Slow Facts
- The Two Missing Minutes in Case Where Officer Mohamed Noor Shot the Yoga Teacher
- If You Wear a Miniskirt in Saudi Arabia, Here is What Happens…
- Watch: Elderly Man Shoots Tires of AT&T Truck — Is This Wrong?
- Sean Spicer is Out: Quits Job as Press Secretary and is Replaced by…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Crocodile Returns Body of Man it Killed After Witch Doctor ‘Summoned It’ [Video]
- ALERT: All US Army M1911 Handguns to be Transferred to Civilian Marksmanship Program in new Bill
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- John McCain’s Daughter Reveals the Senator Has Been Diagnosed With Brain Cancer
- Berkeley Middle School Teacher Yvette Felarca Arrested For Assault, Rioting At ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protest
- Watch: Revolver or Semi-Auto for a Conceal Carry Weapon?
- 10,000 New ICE Agents are Ordered to Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
- Wife Found Guilty of Shooting Her Husband Dead and the Only Witness was Their Pet Parrot
- Delta Airlines Kicks Ann Coulter Out of Her Seat and Boy Was That the Wrong Decision…
- Bill de Blasio Snubbed at Funeral for Slain Female NYPD Officer
- Congress Fails to Include Majority of Trump’s Budget Cuts in House GOP Budget Plan
- GO FASTER! Video Captures the Moment a Hippo Almost Sinked this Guy’s Safari Boat in Botswana
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN