By Shayna Lopez-Rivas
As someone who was raped once on campus, I’m convinced that women should have the legal right to carry firearms to defend themselves from violent attack. I won’t go into the horrific details of what happened to me. If you want to know more, my experience is plastered all over the internet if you search my name. What I want to discuss now is how the State of Florida disagrees with my belief that I should carry a gun for self-defense wherever I go, including on my campus. I know from experience that criminals ignore laws. Rape is illegal and yet I’m sure my rapist didn’t care about the law. I don’t want to be raped again because I was forced by law to leave my gun, the best tool I have for self-defense, in my car. No one should. Unfortunately, politicians are making more victims as elected officials trade favors.
That sounds harsh, but you don’t know the half of it. I have expressed my opinion publicly and have been shocked by the response of gun rights opponents. Let me give a big shout out to the opponents of civilian self-defense and campus carry. They are the ones who gave me a real public education this year.
Thank you to those who tweeted me and Facebooked me advocating that I be murdered for my beliefs. Thank you to everyone who has said I should be killed in a drone strike. Thank you to the people who called me a liar, called me a daytime soap opera writer, and called me a mouthpiece for the gun lobby.
Here is a BIG THANK YOU to those who believe I should be raped again because I advocate self-defense!
Thank you for sending me these vile messages to me each week: you have taught me so much about you, as individuals, and about the anti-gun movement as a whole.
Opponents of gun rights bring up their own fears of immature behavior as a reason for restricting gun ownership by honest citizens. This year I watched as a prominent student gun opponent was arrested for buying cocaine from an undercover cop. That sounds pretty immature to me.
Gun opponents say they want less violence. Yet these same opponents simultaneously advocate that gun owners be murdered and rape survivors be viciously attacked. I would not have believed it if I hadn’t lived it.
Read more: Slow Facts
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Kim Jong-un Needs to be Terrified of Sec Def Mattis’ First Course of Action After NK Recent Missile Launch
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- The Female Celebrities Go on Attack: Anyone Who is a Trump Supporter, Especially Women, Should…
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Watch: Bannon Breaks His Silence After Leaving the White House — Throws Punches Left & Right
- Millennial Chick Mocks Hillary, Writing Book on ‘How To Pretend Like You’re a Winner, When You’re Actually…’ [WATCH]
- DAVID BOWIE’S FUNNIEST TV MOMENT: Rips to Shred Anti-Gun, Anti-Hunting Actor Ricky Gervais [WATCH]
- WATCH: Leaked Footage Shows Clintons Celebrating Election ‘Victory’… a Little Too Early [VIRAL VIDEO]
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- ANTIFA Protester Hits MAGA Man, Then All Hell Breaks Loose [Video]
- ANTIFA: Violence is Necessary