By Shayna Lopez-Rivas
As someone who was raped once on campus, I’m convinced that women should have the legal right to carry firearms to defend themselves from violent attack. I won’t go into the horrific details of what happened to me. If you want to know more, my experience is plastered all over the internet if you search my name. What I want to discuss now is how the State of Florida disagrees with my belief that I should carry a gun for self-defense wherever I go, including on my campus. I know from experience that criminals ignore laws. Rape is illegal and yet I’m sure my rapist didn’t care about the law. I don’t want to be raped again because I was forced by law to leave my gun, the best tool I have for self-defense, in my car. No one should. Unfortunately, politicians are making more victims as elected officials trade favors.
That sounds harsh, but you don’t know the half of it. I have expressed my opinion publicly and have been shocked by the response of gun rights opponents. Let me give a big shout out to the opponents of civilian self-defense and campus carry. They are the ones who gave me a real public education this year.
Thank you to those who tweeted me and Facebooked me advocating that I be murdered for my beliefs. Thank you to everyone who has said I should be killed in a drone strike. Thank you to the people who called me a liar, called me a daytime soap opera writer, and called me a mouthpiece for the gun lobby.
Here is a BIG THANK YOU to those who believe I should be raped again because I advocate self-defense!
Thank you for sending me these vile messages to me each week: you have taught me so much about you, as individuals, and about the anti-gun movement as a whole.
Opponents of gun rights bring up their own fears of immature behavior as a reason for restricting gun ownership by honest citizens. This year I watched as a prominent student gun opponent was arrested for buying cocaine from an undercover cop. That sounds pretty immature to me.
Gun opponents say they want less violence. Yet these same opponents simultaneously advocate that gun owners be murdered and rape survivors be viciously attacked. I would not have believed it if I hadn’t lived it.
Read more: Slow Facts
- Child Sex Slave Escapes Captor, But Now She is the One in Jail
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- POLL: President Trump Wants to Expose Sexual Harassers in Congress — Do You Love This?
- Kathy Griffin Attacks Trump Again in Bizarre Video [WATCH]
- Chick Who Stole MAGA Hat from College Student is in Serious Trouble [VIDEO]
- The Best Scopes for Your Hunting Rifle
- 2yr-Old Beats Stage 4 Cancer with Breakthrough Treatment
- 5 Crucial Things to Remember When Choosing a Hunting Rifle
- ‘YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN AFRICA’: Group of Black People Taunt BIKINI-CLAD Woman, She Instantly Loses Her Sh*t [VIDEO]
- Bug out Guns: 7 Best Firearms for your Bug out Arsenal
- Japan Prepares for Mass Evacuation as Kim Jong-un Becomes More Unhinged
- Prostitute Shoots Man in the Head Because He Didn’t Know How to…
- WATCH: Off-Duty Police Officer Caught in Gun Fight While Holding His Young Child
- NOT YOUR AVERAGE STREET FIGHT: Police Break Up Street Fight in UK involving AK47, Machine Gun and a Rocket Launcher
- GERMAN JIHADIST: Returns From Syria, Claims Multiple Attacks are Coming to…
- Faith Hill Touts for ‘Common Sense’ Gun Control: NRA Needs to ‘Tell the Truth’ on Guns
- UPGRADING HUMANS: The Next Billion Dollar Industry
- JUSTICE: College Chick Guilty of MURDER After Disposing of Her Newborn in the Most HORRIFIC Way