Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., sure knows how to party.
Meadows marked his 56th birthday Tuesday, by scheduling to move with his wife Debbie from one apartment to another in Washington, D.C. And somewhere in between packing dishes into corrugated boxes, Meadows filed an unprecedented resolution to oust House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio.
In a single stroke, the rebellious congressman has not only infuriated the GOP leadership but scrambled their plans of using the August recess to focus on the Iran deal and a web of other issues. Now, the House goes into recess with this debate churning, even if the push stands little chance of succeeding.
“We will be getting bogged down on who is speaker over the August recess,” seethed Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y. “We could end up like a European parliament. We should be talking about Iran. It’s terrible.”
Incidentally, the resolution also had to do with moving furniture. It seeks to compel Boehner to give up the speaker’s suite, with a parliamentary motion known as “vacating the chair.”
“The Speaker has, through inaction, caused the power of Congress to atrophy, thereby making Congress subservient to the Executive and Judicial branches, diminishing the voice of the American People,” Meadows wrote in his resolution to bump Boehner from his leadership perch.
Betcha’ Boehner didn’t phone Meadows to wish him a happy birthday or send over a bottle of Duckhorn Merlot.
That said, a rambunctious group of Republican insurgents, contemptuous of the House GOP leadership, may be more than happy to fete the birthday boy. Twenty-five House Republicans voted for someone other than Boehner for speaker at the start of this Congress in January. Rep. Brian Babin, R-Texas, voted “present.”
“There’s been a lot of discussion about leadership or the lack of leadership,” said Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., who waged a Quixotic effort of his own to claim the speaker’s gavel over the winter. Yoho marshaled precisely two votes for speaker. His own and the ballot of Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky.
“I’ll probably support [the resolution],” said Yoho.
“This will be pervading our thoughts through the recess,” said Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who backed Rep. Daniel Webster, R-Fla., instead of Boehner. “It gives constituents the chance to lobby their members of Congress.”
What King refers to is the fabled August congressional recess. The annual, midsummer leviathan, deft at spawning utter political mayhem. Part Alien. Part Sith Lord. Part Voldemort. Lawmakers fear this temporal beast, never quite knowing how it could exact its wrath.
Boehner loyalists could barely contain their anger as they stormed off the House floor Tuesday night, having just learned of Meadows’ gambit.
Read more: Fox News
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- BREAKING: Barcelona Terrorist Found Wearing an Explosive Belt ‘Screaming Allahu Akbar’ — Has Been Shot Down
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- Senator Apologizes for ‘Assassinate Trump’ Comment… Almost a Week Later
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Should Antifa be Labeled as a Terror Organization? This Petition Says It Should.
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- John McCain Tight Lipped on His Foundation After Being Busted for Taking Foreign Money from Questionable Sources
- BOOM: After Trump’s ‘FAKE NEWS’ Comment, CNN’s Stocks Take a Hit
- All You Need To Know About “Assault” Rifles
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- White House Fact Sheet: How Trump and Sessions Have Combated Lawless Sanctuary Cities