Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., sure knows how to party.
Meadows marked his 56th birthday Tuesday, by scheduling to move with his wife Debbie from one apartment to another in Washington, D.C. And somewhere in between packing dishes into corrugated boxes, Meadows filed an unprecedented resolution to oust House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio.
In a single stroke, the rebellious congressman has not only infuriated the GOP leadership but scrambled their plans of using the August recess to focus on the Iran deal and a web of other issues. Now, the House goes into recess with this debate churning, even if the push stands little chance of succeeding.
“We will be getting bogged down on who is speaker over the August recess,” seethed Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y. “We could end up like a European parliament. We should be talking about Iran. It’s terrible.”
Incidentally, the resolution also had to do with moving furniture. It seeks to compel Boehner to give up the speaker’s suite, with a parliamentary motion known as “vacating the chair.”
“The Speaker has, through inaction, caused the power of Congress to atrophy, thereby making Congress subservient to the Executive and Judicial branches, diminishing the voice of the American People,” Meadows wrote in his resolution to bump Boehner from his leadership perch.
Betcha’ Boehner didn’t phone Meadows to wish him a happy birthday or send over a bottle of Duckhorn Merlot.
That said, a rambunctious group of Republican insurgents, contemptuous of the House GOP leadership, may be more than happy to fete the birthday boy. Twenty-five House Republicans voted for someone other than Boehner for speaker at the start of this Congress in January. Rep. Brian Babin, R-Texas, voted “present.”
“There’s been a lot of discussion about leadership or the lack of leadership,” said Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., who waged a Quixotic effort of his own to claim the speaker’s gavel over the winter. Yoho marshaled precisely two votes for speaker. His own and the ballot of Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky.
“I’ll probably support [the resolution],” said Yoho.
“This will be pervading our thoughts through the recess,” said Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who backed Rep. Daniel Webster, R-Fla., instead of Boehner. “It gives constituents the chance to lobby their members of Congress.”
What King refers to is the fabled August congressional recess. The annual, midsummer leviathan, deft at spawning utter political mayhem. Part Alien. Part Sith Lord. Part Voldemort. Lawmakers fear this temporal beast, never quite knowing how it could exact its wrath.
Boehner loyalists could barely contain their anger as they stormed off the House floor Tuesday night, having just learned of Meadows’ gambit.
Read more: Fox News
- POLL: Does President Trump Need to Apologize to Gold Star Widow Myeshia Johnson?
- UNLEASHED: Jimmy Carter Goes After Hillary, Obama & Russia Scandal — Says Trump is…
- GROSS: He/She Artist Collects 200 Gallons of Urine to Protest Trump — Demonstrates How [VIDEO]
- Disturbing: Grieving Husband Finds Nurse ‘Maintaining Relations’ with His Wife’s Corpse
- After Democrat Attacks Trump, Soldier’s Widow Releases Audio of Phone Call [WATCH]
- NBC Gun “Expert” Caught LYING — Was This An Intentional Move To Push Gun Control?
- National Park Service to Give Big Money for Black Panther Monument, Even Though Organization Killed NPS Officer
- WATCH: Jesse Jackson Compares Playing for NFL & NBA to ‘Picking Cotton’
- Dude Waves Communist Flag at Trump Rally — Watch What Happens to Him Next
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- Colin Kaepernick Claims All 32 NFL Teams are ‘Conspiring Against Him’ — Files Grievance
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- WAR ON SPEECH CONTINUES: Conservative Commentator PEPPER SPRAYED At NYU — Professor Says Cops Should BEAT Up ‘Neo-Nazis’
- 20yr-Old Chick Draws Gun on Man Who Ran Over Her Family Members at Funeral
- Robert De Niro Exclaims ‘F**k you, Donald Trump’ During Charity Event — Plans to Prevent the President From…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Michelle Obama Claims People Don’t Like Her Because of ‘Her Skin Color’