About a third of rebel groups in Syria – some 100,000 fighters – share the ideology of so-called Islamic State (IS), new research suggests.
The Centre on Religion and Geopolitics, linked to former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, said defeating IS militarily “would not end global jihadism”.
That would require an “intellectual and theological defeat” of its ideology.
The Syrian conflict has killed more than 250,000 people. Millions more have been displaced.
A Western coalition has been carrying out air strikes against IS in Syria and Iraq for more than a year.
In September, Russian forces began air strikes against rebels in Syria, targeting “all terrorists”, including IS. However, Western-backed groups are also reported to have been hit.
The Centre on Religion and Geopolitics, an initiative of the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, says that Syria now hosts the largest gathering of jihadi groups in modern times.
The report, due to be published on Monday, says the greatest danger to the international community are groups who share the IS ideology but are currently being ignored – they number about 100,000 fighters.
Read more: BBC
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Vegas Police Arrest Student Issuing School Death Threats On Instagram — Unlike Broward County
- Trump’s Sexual Harassment Accusers Sit Down With Megyn Kelly
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- EX-CONVICT: Has a Few Choice Words for Cop Haters and It’s EPIC
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- Seattle Seahawks Player Claims Cops ‘Racially Profiled’ Him — Cops Respond With All the Details He Omitted
- When Scopes are a Bad Idea?
- UN Military Vehicles Roaming This American State–Is Obama Fulfilling His Promise of a Global Police Force?
- PRINCESS OR QUEEN: THE 11 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATING A GIRL VS A WOMAN