On Saturday, the Associated Press asked why the anti-Confederate flag sentiment that swept through much of the country during the summer somehow passed over Mississippi.
Efforts to remove the flag and statues associated with the Confederacy were seen in Alabama, California, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia, among other states following the June 17 attack on the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
But the Confederate flag logo remains in the Mississippi state flag and there are no serious legislative calls to change that. AP reports Gov. Phil Bryant (R) made clear he “wouldn’t call Mississippi legislators into special session this year to debate the flag.”
There are disparate pushes to get rid of the flag, but nothing around which everyone is unified.
For example, Mississippi House speaker Philip Gunn (R), who is also “a leader in his local Baptist church,” said his “faith” convinced him that Confederate flag is “a point of offense that needs to be removed.” But the Sons of Confederate Veterans and other proponents of the flag responded to Gunn with signs and bumper stickers which said, “Keep the Flag. Change the Speaker.”
Read more: breitbart.com
- MSNBC Host Suggests Scalise DESERVED To Be Shot — The Reason Why Will Have You FUMING!
- Why We Carry: Man Punches Girl 39 Times in Empty Parking Lot After ‘Laying in Wait’ [WATCH]
- Dude Starts Freaking When Chick Places Snake on His Lap in Most Hilarious Video
- ALERT: US Official Arrested For Giving Chinese Agent Top-Secret…
- What Really Killed Otto Warmbier
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Die-In Protesters Against Trump’s Healthcare Bill Get Rude Awakening by Motorcyclist [WATCH]
- Migrants Kill Motorist by Dragging Tree-Trunks to Stop Traffic, Hijack Cars
- Hillary Clinton & Co. About to be Stripped of Security Clearance
- WATCH: Why Poor People Shouldn’t Run the Economy
- National Security Council Unable to Release Susan Rice Documents Because They’re in Obama’s…
- Protesters Interrupt Trump During Time For Prayer — The President’s Reaction Is Priceless
- Is Obama At Fault For Otto Warmbier’s Death? Victim’s Father Sheds Some Light On The Former President
- Watch: Dude Performs Erotic Drag Show for Elementary & Middle School Kids
- Professor Publishes ‘#LetThemF*ckingDie’ Article About White People, Now Playing The Victim…
- Insane! Sex Offender Rapes Neighbor’s 7yr-Old Daughter Weeks After Being Released from Prison
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…