On Saturday, the Associated Press asked why the anti-Confederate flag sentiment that swept through much of the country during the summer somehow passed over Mississippi.
Efforts to remove the flag and statues associated with the Confederacy were seen in Alabama, California, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia, among other states following the June 17 attack on the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
But the Confederate flag logo remains in the Mississippi state flag and there are no serious legislative calls to change that. AP reports Gov. Phil Bryant (R) made clear he “wouldn’t call Mississippi legislators into special session this year to debate the flag.”
There are disparate pushes to get rid of the flag, but nothing around which everyone is unified.
For example, Mississippi House speaker Philip Gunn (R), who is also “a leader in his local Baptist church,” said his “faith” convinced him that Confederate flag is “a point of offense that needs to be removed.” But the Sons of Confederate Veterans and other proponents of the flag responded to Gunn with signs and bumper stickers which said, “Keep the Flag. Change the Speaker.”
Read more: breitbart.com
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- BREAKING: Barcelona Terrorist Found Wearing an Explosive Belt ‘Screaming Allahu Akbar’ — Has Been Shot Down
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- Senator Apologizes for ‘Assassinate Trump’ Comment… Almost a Week Later
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Should Antifa be Labeled as a Terror Organization? This Petition Says It Should.
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- #BlackLivesMatter Are Planning ‘DAY OF RAGE’ in 37 Cities–Is Yours On The List?
- John McCain Tight Lipped on His Foundation After Being Busted for Taking Foreign Money from Questionable Sources
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama