Investigators with ‘significant new information’ about the fatal shooting of Charles Gliniewic are expected to reveal the Chicago police officer committed suicide when he died in early September.
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office is holding a news conference Wednesday to share the new details and it is anticipated officials will announce Gliniewicz committed suicide due to personal issues.
A legal investigation into Gliniewicz may also have been a factor, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
The officer, who was known as GI Joe, was suspected of using department funds for personal items and vacations, and an audit into his conduct was under way at the time of his death, WGN reported.
The FBI was also looking into the matter and it should be part of Wednesday’s announcement.
Gliniewicz died weeks before his planned retirement after radioing on September 1 and reporting that he was chasing three suspicious men on foot.
Backup officers arrived to find the 52-year-old Fox Lake officer’s body 50 yards from his squad car.
A massive manhunt outside of Chicago ensued, though no arrests were made and no suspects were identified.
The police lieutenant’s death prompted an outpouring of support, with thousands lining the roads during his funeral, but authorities later confirmed Gliniewicz had been shot twice with his own weapon.
The county coroner previously said he was unable to rule Gliniewicz’s death a homicide, suicide or an accident. That stance could possibly change with Wednesday’s expected announcement.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Watch: Protesters Destroy Confederate Monument in North Carolina to ‘Smash White Supremacy’
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- Trump to North Korea: You “will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame
- FBI is on the Hunt for the Wikileaker — Going FRANTIC
- ‘Violent Violation’: North Korea Issues New Threats Against US
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- Regis and Her Father on Fox and Friends
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life