While racism is thought to be rife in the Southern US states, a new ‘hate map of America’ reveals prejudice to be common elsewhere.
The map suggests that the coal region and rust belt in the American Northeast, along with the South, have now become the most racist areas of the US.
The rust belt straddles the upper northeastern US, the Great Lakes, and the Midwest states, while the coal region is found in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the spine of the Appalachian Mountains.
The map based its results on Google search data – a technique previously used by data scientists to understand how racism may impact Barack Obama’s electoral chances, according to the Washington Post.
‘Google data, evidence suggests, are unlikely to suffer from major social censoring,’ Harvard University data scientist, Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, wrote in an earlier paper.
He added that Google searchers are online and likely alone – both of which make it easier to express socially taboo thoughts.
Asking someone about racism in a traditional survey rarely works, says Stephens-Davidowitz, because people may lie, and often, racism can operate on a subconscious level.
As part of the study, researchers at the University of Maryland, Columbia University, Emory University and Harvard University looked at searches containing the slur n****r.
They found that it was searched for frequently, as often as, for instance, ‘economist,’ ‘sweater,’ and ‘Daily Show’.
The map revealed that clusters of racism appeared in areas of the Gulf Coast, Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, and a large portion of Ohio.
Racism in the New England states, along with New York, were two surprising hotspots for racism.
Searches for n****r are less frequent in regions west of Texas.
The researchers on the Plos One paper found that racist searches were linked with higher death rates in black communities.
‘Results from our study indicate that living in an area characterised by a one standard deviation greater proportion of racist Google searches is associated with an 8.2 per cent increase in the all-cause mortality rate among Blacks,’ the authors wrote.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- ‘Nails and Shrapnel’: Bomb Headed to Austin Explodes at FedEx
- PETA Bounty: Alleged Frenchman Kicks Squirrel into Grand Canyon, PETA Places $16K Bounty on His Head
- WATCH: CNN Busted on Gun-Control Agenda, On Their Own Network
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Barbra Streisand: I’m No #MeToo Victim, I Was Never Sexually Harassed
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- School Parades Kindergarteners in Gun-Control ‘Walkout’ — Did They Exploit the Children?
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- HOUSE REPORT: War on ISIS is NOT Going Well, Government LIED so Obama Would Look Good
- Muslim Chick Urges to ‘Stand Together’ While Wearing Burka with Pistol, Grenade, Blade, Machine Gun That Spelled Out…
- VIDEO: Donald Hits Back at CNN–‘The CLINTON News Network’
- WATCH: Idiot Writer Claims Americans Have NEVER Used Guns To Protect…
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- Megyn Kelly Off the Air After Attacking Jane Fonda
- Trey Gowdy Slams McCabe: ‘Fellow Bureau Agents’ Suggested He Be Fired, Not Trump’s Fault
- Report: Shooting at Maryland School — Armed Resource Officer Does His Job and Saves Dozens