RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Palestinian in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to death for apostasy, a rare ruling which can be appealed, Human Rights Watch said on Friday.
The ultra-conservative Islamic kingdom’s use of the death penalty — typically carried out by beheading — has drawn widespread international criticism.
A lower court on Tuesday issued the sentence against Ashraf Fayad, said Adam Coogle, a Middle East researcher for the New York-based HRW.
That decision, apparently after an appeal, overturned another lower court’s ruling in 2014 sentencing Fayadh to four years’ prison and 800 lashes.
“I read the court documents,” Coogle said.
The complaint against Fayadh stemmed from a cultural discussion group at a cafe in the Gulf state’s southwestern city of Abha.
“What Ashraf claims is that he had a falling out with other members of the group,” Coogle said.
One man claimed he heard Fayadh say things against God, while a religious scholar accused Fayadh of blasphemy in a volume of poetry he had written a decade previously, Coogle said.
At the first trial, witnesses for Fayadh testified that the man who complained was probably “out to get him”.
Read more: timesofisrael.com
- White House Hosts Ramadan Dinner, Trump was a No Show
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- Missing 14yr-Old Girl Found Dead in Landfill, Police Need Your Help
- Socialist Bernie Sanders & Wife Under Bank Fraud Investigation by the FBI
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- 16-Month-Old Killed After Thug Father Viciously…
- CNN Retracts Their Fake Russia/Trump News — Instantly Trolled [LOL]
- Watch: Thug Couple Beats Restaurant Owner and Her Daughter Over ‘Cold Chicken’
- Obama Judge Releases MS-13 Gang Member On The Biases Of…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Stevie Wonder Exposes Hypocrisy of Black Lives Matter in Awesome Speech!
- Watch: Fed Up Drivers vs. Liberal Ding-Bats Blocking Traffic
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- Trump’s Travel Ban Reinstated by Supreme Court
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- North Korea Claims They’re the ‘Victim’ in Otto Warmbier’s Death
- Report: Why Firing Nancy Pelosi is Harder Than it Sounds