RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Palestinian in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to death for apostasy, a rare ruling which can be appealed, Human Rights Watch said on Friday.
The ultra-conservative Islamic kingdom’s use of the death penalty — typically carried out by beheading — has drawn widespread international criticism.
A lower court on Tuesday issued the sentence against Ashraf Fayad, said Adam Coogle, a Middle East researcher for the New York-based HRW.
That decision, apparently after an appeal, overturned another lower court’s ruling in 2014 sentencing Fayadh to four years’ prison and 800 lashes.
“I read the court documents,” Coogle said.
The complaint against Fayadh stemmed from a cultural discussion group at a cafe in the Gulf state’s southwestern city of Abha.
“What Ashraf claims is that he had a falling out with other members of the group,” Coogle said.
One man claimed he heard Fayadh say things against God, while a religious scholar accused Fayadh of blasphemy in a volume of poetry he had written a decade previously, Coogle said.
At the first trial, witnesses for Fayadh testified that the man who complained was probably “out to get him”.
Read more: timesofisrael.com
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- ALERT: Intel Officer Claims Obama Would be First Former President to be Charged with a FELONY if…
- Photo Gallery
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- RECRUITERS TOLD NOT TO WEAR UNIFORMS: This Soldier Thinks That’s Bullsh-t
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Harpy Feminist Cries Dunkirk is too ‘Manly’