RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — A Palestinian in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to death for apostasy, a rare ruling which can be appealed, Human Rights Watch said on Friday.
The ultra-conservative Islamic kingdom’s use of the death penalty — typically carried out by beheading — has drawn widespread international criticism.
A lower court on Tuesday issued the sentence against Ashraf Fayad, said Adam Coogle, a Middle East researcher for the New York-based HRW.
That decision, apparently after an appeal, overturned another lower court’s ruling in 2014 sentencing Fayadh to four years’ prison and 800 lashes.
“I read the court documents,” Coogle said.
The complaint against Fayadh stemmed from a cultural discussion group at a cafe in the Gulf state’s southwestern city of Abha.
“What Ashraf claims is that he had a falling out with other members of the group,” Coogle said.
One man claimed he heard Fayadh say things against God, while a religious scholar accused Fayadh of blasphemy in a volume of poetry he had written a decade previously, Coogle said.
At the first trial, witnesses for Fayadh testified that the man who complained was probably “out to get him”.
Read more: timesofisrael.com
- BREAKING: Terror Attack on Pedestrians, Mowed Down by Van — Terrorist Take Hostages at Gun Point
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Missouri Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal: ‘I Hope Trump Is Assassinated!’
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Democrat Steve Cohen is Introducing Impeachment Articles for President Trump Over Charlottesville
- White House Fact Sheet: How Trump and Sessions Have Combated Lawless Sanctuary Cities
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- Obama Breaks Silence–5 Worded Response on Charlotte RIOTS Will Have You Dropping Your Jaw [SHOCKING]
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…
- Prayers For Trump! Group of Pastors form Prayer Circle with President in the Oval
- ‘They Brought it on Themselves’: Dallas Commissioner Votes Against Honoring Police Officers Murdered by BLM Supporter
- GOOD JOB DAD: Father Gave his College Daughter a Gun, Saves her Life During Home Invasion