The Supreme Court agreed Monday to hear next term a major affirmative action case concerning a program at a public university that takes race into consideration as one factor for admissions.
The decision marks the second time the Court has agreed to hear a challenge from a Texas woman, Abigail Fisher, targeting the admissions policies at the University of Texas.
Justice Elena Kagan took no part in the consideration of the case, presumably because she dealt with it in her former job as Solicitor General.
“I am very grateful that the Supreme Court will once again hear my case. I hope the justices will rule that UT is not allowed to treat undergraduate applicants differently because of their race or ethnicity,” Fisher said in a statement out shortly after the decision to rehear her case was announced.
In 2012, the justices heard the case and then declined to act for eight months while supporters of affirmative action feared the court was poised to curtail race conscious admissions programs. Ultimately, however, the justices issued a narrow decision asking the lower court to take another look at the efforts UT made to achieve diversity.
In 2014, a panel of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the program again and Fisher’s lawyers appealed once more to the high Court.
Read more: CNN
- State County to Assign Armed Guards to Every Public School
- WATCH: Former Police Officer Shocked to See What His Son’s School Replaced the American Flag With
- WATCH: David Hogg Attacks Gun Owners in Profanity Laced Rant
- Steven Seagal Accused of Sexual Assault
- YouTube is Banning Gun Content in an Effort to Push Gun-Control
- WATCH: Roseanne Barr Tells Jimmy Kimmel to “Zip That F***ing Lip,” When it Comes to Bashing Trump
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- Meet the Hero School Resource Officer Who Shot Down Maryland Gunman
- Florida’s ‘Teacher of the Year’ Points the Finger at Parents for Mass Shooting Epidemic — ‘Parents, it’s time to step up!’
- Eminem Targets Gun Owners in New Song: ‘They Love Their Guns More Than Our Children’
- SHARK BAIT: Great White Shark Feeds Just Feet from Cape Cod Shore [WATCH]
- DRUNK DRIVER OR TERRORIST? 28 Badly Injured After Man Plows Car Through New Orleans Parade
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PayPal Founder at RNC: Who Cares About Bathrooms, ‘Fake Culture Wars Only DISTRACT Us from Our ECONOMIC DECLINE’
- Austin Bomber Dead — Blows Himself Up
- JESSE VENTURA: Not Going to See American Sniper Because ‘There is No Honor in Lying’
- CALLING BS ON… Left Wing Gun-Control Memes