Sophie Cruz’s brief encounter with Pope Francis during his parade in Washington this week appeared to be the kind of spontaneous moment that is so endearing about this pope: an initially hesitant young child wrapping an arm around his neck as he offers a kiss and a blessing.
But for 5-year-old Sophie, the moment unfolded as perfectly as it was scripted by members of a coalition of Los Angeles-based immigration rights groups. They had been preparing for nearly a year for the young girl from suburban Los Angeles to make a dash for the popemobile to deliver a message about the plight of immigrant parents living in the country illegally.
They had even pulled off a similar public-relations coup a year ago in Rome using a 10-year-old girl with the pope.
“We planned to do this from the moment we learned he was coming to the States,” Juan Jose Gutierrez of the Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition told The Associated Press. “We have been working for a while now trying to sensitize the American public that dealing with immigration is not just dealing with the people who came in without proper documents but that we also have … countless children whose parents are undocumented.”
Gutierrez said the group decided to use the children of immigrants to represent their push for immigration reforms to the pope, a staunch supporter of immigrants. “We have been looking for children to make the case that we as adults have been making for years,” he said.
Sophie was selected for the Washington trip because she “impressed us all so much that we felt she would be our best spokesman,” Gutierrez said. If she had been unsuccessful in Washington attracting the pope’s attention, he said, she would have traveled with the group to New York and then Philadelphia to try again.
Sophie refused to the leave the pope’s side Wednesday until a bodyguard took a handwritten letter and a T-shirt.
Her note to Francis detailed fears that her parents, immigrants from Mexico who don’t have legal status in the United States, could be deported. But their risk of being deported is slight under the Obama administration’s policies, which focus on deporting serious criminals.
Read more: The Blaze
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Artist Projects 3 Messages on Trump Hotel: “The President of the United States is a Known Racist and Nazi Sympathizer”
- NBA Star Charles Barkley Disses Confederate Statue Obsession — Tells Black Community to Focus on These 3 Things Instead
- Arizona Court Rules Guns are Loaded, Even When Empty…
- Apparently Saint and Little Native American Boy Statue is White Supremacy…
- 9yr-Old Girl Has Some Mad Crazy Handgun Skills [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Trump to North Korea: You “will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”
- Crucified: ISIS Crucifies 8 Christians for Converting Out of Islam
- Krauthammer: If You Take Up Arms Against The United States You Have Forfeited Your Rights
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment
- REPORT: Rabid Hillary Supporters Harass and Attack Electoral College Voters
- Antifa Protester in Virginia Attacked Journalist — Caused Concussion [Video]
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Watch: Televangelists’ Reason for Buying Private Jet is so They can ‘Talk to God’, Avoid Commercial Airliners with ‘Dope Filled… Demons’
- The Key to Basic Handgun Training? K.I.S.S. [Watch]
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…