A plainclothes New York City police officer was recovering from surgery Sunday after being shot in the head after questioning a man he saw acting suspiciously.
Officer Brian Moore, 25, was seated in an unmarked police car with his partner, Officer Erik Jansen, in the Queens Village when he saw the man walking and adjusting something in his waistband, police Commissioner William Bratton said.
Moore inquired about the man’s actions and the suspect removed a firearm from his waistband, turned to the officers and fired into the vehicle, hitting Moore in the head, Bratton said, speaking at a news conference at Jamaica Hospital in Queens, where Moore was undergoing treatment Saturday night.
“Both officers were still seated in the vehicle and did not have an opportunity to get out or return fire,” he added.
The incident happened around 6:15 p.m. ET Saturday.
The suspect — Demetrius Blackwell, 35 — fled to an alley and onto 104th Road, and Jansen radioed for assistance, Bratton said.
He said Blackwell was taken into custody about 90 minutes later. No weapon was found and, as of early Sunday, Blackwell had not been charged, the Associated Press reported.
Read more: wkyc.com
- Report: California Just Made it Legal for Illegal Immigrants to Vote
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- Watch: CNN Does Its Job and Corrects Fake News Democrats
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Victory: Democrats Give in to GOP, Abandon the “Schumer Shutdown”
- Three Thugs Were Just Arrested for Stealing Guns in Baton Rouge–Posed ‘Credible Threat’ to Harm Police…
- Watch: Psychologist Leaves Reporter Speechless Defending the Right to Free Speech vs. Someone’s ‘Right’ To Not Be Offended
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- ALERT: Intel Officer Claims Obama Would be First Former President to be Charged with a FELONY if…
- Photo Gallery
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WALK OF SHAME: ISIS Commander Forced to Walk Nude to His Execution