Smith & Wesson sales surged during the same quarter as the San Bernardino mass shooting. Sales of handguns used in self defense were a particular standout.
The gunmaker reported an increase of 61.5% in the three months that ended January 31, compared to the same period the year before. Profits also increased dramatically.
Smith & Wesson’s financial performance bears out a pattern: Gun sales time and again jump following mass shootings and other high-profile incidents of violent crime — and the specter of gun control that often follows.
On December 2, 14 people were gunned down in San Bernardino, California. A month later, President Obama announced a series of new executive actions intended to address gun violence.
“Smaller handguns designed for concealed carry and personal protection are still very, very popular with the consumer here in the U.S.,” Smith & Wesson () CEO James Debney said Thursday night in a conference call with industry experts.
Read more: CNN
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Little Girl was Going to Attend Daddy-Daughter Dance Alone, Until This Soldier Showed Up
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- WATCH: Mariah Carey Caught Lip Syncing During NYE Performance–Storms Off Stage, But Not Before She Said This…
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- How the FBI Failed to Track Down Florida Shooter After YouTube Threat Using His Real Name
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall