Amy Schumer managed to mock America’s gun laws, slate the Kardashians, pretend to have sex with a school student, shame last week’s star guest Hillary Clinton and delve into the Planned Parenthood row – all in her first night as Saturday Night Live host.
The comedian and Trainwreck star seemed set on offending most sectors of the American population as she launched her blistering attacks on a wide range of hot topics.
Perhaps most controversially, she starred in a sketch about gun control, an issue that has divided in nation in the wake of school shootings.
On Friday, one person was killed and three injured at Northern Arizona University in a fight that involved fraternity members. Later that day a shooting at a student complex near Texas Southern University left one person dead.
Also on Friday, Barack Obama was visiting families of the nine students killed at at Umpqua Community College on October 1.
But just one day later, SNL was featuring a parody gun commercial in which different people were shown in ‘meaningful’ situations with a gun in tow.
One couple met at a party, another were on their way to the hospital to have a baby, another jogged in the park, a grandfather and grandson sat down to bond, and a woman, played by Schumer, waited for a romantic date. The video then asked what they all have in common – the answer being guns.
‘Guns are there in little moments and big ones,’ said the commercial as a gun began to appear in every scenario.
The pregnant woman took her gun with her into the hospital as she was about to give birth.
A woman carried her pistol with her while on her run.
Schumer opened a box at the dinner table and inside was a gun that she then used to caress her date’s face. She later took the gun with her to bed as she held her loved one.
‘They unite us, comfort us and bring us strength. Wherever life takes you. Guns, they’re here to stay,’ concludes the sarcastic skit.
Schumer has spoken out on gun control laws before, most notably in the wake of the Lafayette movie theatre massacre in July, when a gunman shot 11 people, killing two, before turning the gun on himself at a screening of Schumer’s Trainwreck in the Louisiana venue.
Shortly afterwards Shumer joined with her cousin, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, to call for stricter laws. ‘Unless something is done and done soon, dangerous people will continue to get their hands on guns,’ she said. ‘We need a background check system without holes and fatal flaws. We need one with accurate information that protects us like a firewall.
‘The critics scoff and say, “Well, there’s no way to stop crazy people from doing crazy things,” but they’re wrong. There is a way to stop them. Preventing dangerous people from getting guns is very possible. We have common-sense solutions. We can toughen background checks and stop the sale of firearms to folks who have a violent history or history of mental illness.’
She later blamed the “money” behind the gun lobby for America’s lack of gun-control laws.
On Saturday night, Schumer also used her debut SNL appearance to lambast the Kardashians, saying she was once asked, ‘Is this an exciting time for women in Hollywood?’ to which she responded, ‘not really’.
She went on to explain that the Kardashians don’t set the best example for women because of their blatant endorsement of plastic surgery.
‘Do we really want them to think the faces they were born with are just a light suggestion?’ asked Schumer, who pretended to trip in front of Kim and Kanye at the Time 100 Gala back in April.
She quipped that she and other women once had Khloe as a more relatable reality star but that the Kardashian sister recently ‘lost half of her weight.’
‘Khloe lost a Ken doll,’ she remarked.
Schumer also took part in a very uncomfortable skit in which she played a ‘sexy’ high-school teacher blatently seducing one of her students.
In the racy sketch, Schumer’s character, called Ms. Dayworth, told her high school student Ricky: ‘Let’s get you ready for the oral exam’ – as she rubbed her hands all over him.
The student was played by Kyle Mooney.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- CNN Made to Report Trump’s ‘Wiretap’ Accusations May Have Been True
- Bill O’Reilly Breaks His Silence: His Firing was a ‘Political and Financial Hit Job’ [Video]
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Chelsea Handler: ‘Black White Supremacy’ is a Real Thing
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- White Chick Claims Police Arresting Looters is ‘White Supremacy’
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- ROAD RAGE: This Guy Wants Everyone to Know What he Thinks of Obama and It’s Awesome [PHOTO]
- Here is How Miami Police are Handling the Hurricane Irma Looters…
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Her Orders were to Take Down Flight 93 on 9/11, But Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney Was Flying an Unarmed F-16
- PERV ALERT: Group of Brooklyn Teens Grope Several Women
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Reveals Michelle Was the Real Boss and if She Got Mad, Oh Boy…
- ALERT: Wasserman Schultz’ ex-IT Aide Now Faces 4-count Indictment