A tearful and joyous gay couple left a Kentucky county clerk’s office with a marriage license on Friday morning, while the clerk who runs the office remained behind bars because she refused to issue it herself.
James Yates and William Smith Jr. were first in line at the Rowan County clerk’s office after a federal judge had Kim Davis jailed Thursday for defying his order to issue same-sex marriage licenses in compliance with a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision.
One of Davis’ deputies issued the license to the couple, then shook their hands.
A crowd of supporters erupted in cheers as the couple left the courthouse.
Yates told reporters he was “relieved and happy.”
Davis, the Rowan County clerk and an Apostolic Christian, has said granting licenses to same-sex couples would infringe on her religious beliefs. But District Court Judge David Bunning held her in contempt of court on Thursday and ordered her deputy clerks to start issuing licenses to gay couples.
Five of the six deputies agreed to comply. The lone holdout was her son, Nathan Davis.
Read more: NBC News
- Young Woman Attacked and Stabbed — Turns the Table on Her Attacker and Gets His Knife
- REPORT: Facebook’s Algorithm Change Boosting Liberals, Silencing Conservatives
- WINNING! California FORCED to Return 500+ Guns to Dealer After Seizing Them For…
- WATCH: Tennessee Students Start Fighting, Tear Down American Flag During Anti-Gun ‘Walkout’ Protest
- Student David Hogg Demands People ‘Work Together’, But Calls the NRA ‘Child Murderers’
- Couple Caught Sexually Abusing Their Kids and Family Dog
- Parkland High School: Broward County Sheriff Captain Who Ordered Officers to Secure “Perimeter” Identified
- Poll: Should NFL Fans Get a Refund if Players Kneel During Anthem?
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- Second Amendment Group Has Surge of Membership at 1200% for 18-20 Year-Olds
- WATCH: Katy Perry Forces Kiss on American Idol Contestant, is He a #MeToo Victim?
- One Student SUSPENDED for Not Walking Out During Anti-Gun Protest
- PRO GUN WIN: See How this Judge Just Changed the Game for Gun Owners
- Dear Idiot NYT Writer: Here are THREE Provable Instances of Americans Protecting Their Liberty with Guns
- Haitian Official Who Exposed the Clinton Foundation is Found With Gun-Shot to Head
- Dropped: Charges Against the Bundy Family are Dismissed
- Tinder Date Turns to Homicide: ‘Mama’s Boy’ Dismembers Woman’s Body
- DOJ Unleashes More Documents on Operation Fast & Furious