A tearful and joyous gay couple left a Kentucky county clerk’s office with a marriage license on Friday morning, while the clerk who runs the office remained behind bars because she refused to issue it herself.
James Yates and William Smith Jr. were first in line at the Rowan County clerk’s office after a federal judge had Kim Davis jailed Thursday for defying his order to issue same-sex marriage licenses in compliance with a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision.
One of Davis’ deputies issued the license to the couple, then shook their hands.
A crowd of supporters erupted in cheers as the couple left the courthouse.
Yates told reporters he was “relieved and happy.”
Davis, the Rowan County clerk and an Apostolic Christian, has said granting licenses to same-sex couples would infringe on her religious beliefs. But District Court Judge David Bunning held her in contempt of court on Thursday and ordered her deputy clerks to start issuing licenses to gay couples.
Five of the six deputies agreed to comply. The lone holdout was her son, Nathan Davis.
Read more: NBC News
- White House Hosts Ramadan Dinner, Trump was a No Show
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- Missing 14yr-Old Girl Found Dead in Landfill, Police Need Your Help
- Socialist Bernie Sanders & Wife Under Bank Fraud Investigation by the FBI
- Delusional Pelosi Won’t Step Down — ‘I’m A Master Legislator!’
- 16-Month-Old Killed After Thug Father Viciously…
- CNN Retracts Their Fake Russia/Trump News — Instantly Trolled [LOL]
- Watch: Thug Couple Beats Restaurant Owner and Her Daughter Over ‘Cold Chicken’
- Obama Judge Releases MS-13 Gang Member On The Biases Of…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Stevie Wonder Exposes Hypocrisy of Black Lives Matter in Awesome Speech!
- Watch: Fed Up Drivers vs. Liberal Ding-Bats Blocking Traffic
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- Trump’s Travel Ban Reinstated by Supreme Court
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- North Korea Claims They’re the ‘Victim’ in Otto Warmbier’s Death
- Report: Why Firing Nancy Pelosi is Harder Than it Sounds