A tearful and joyous gay couple left a Kentucky county clerk’s office with a marriage license on Friday morning, while the clerk who runs the office remained behind bars because she refused to issue it herself.
James Yates and William Smith Jr. were first in line at the Rowan County clerk’s office after a federal judge had Kim Davis jailed Thursday for defying his order to issue same-sex marriage licenses in compliance with a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision.
One of Davis’ deputies issued the license to the couple, then shook their hands.
A crowd of supporters erupted in cheers as the couple left the courthouse.
Yates told reporters he was “relieved and happy.”
Davis, the Rowan County clerk and an Apostolic Christian, has said granting licenses to same-sex couples would infringe on her religious beliefs. But District Court Judge David Bunning held her in contempt of court on Thursday and ordered her deputy clerks to start issuing licenses to gay couples.
Five of the six deputies agreed to comply. The lone holdout was her son, Nathan Davis.
Read more: NBC News
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- BREAKING: Terror Attack on Pedestrians, Mowed Down by Van — Terrorist Take Hostages at Gun Point
- Black Hawk Helicopter Downed, 5 Crew Members on Board
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Michigan Forces Grandparents to Choose Between Their Guns and Grandchild…
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis Issues Statement on North Korea That Makes President Trump’s Look Tame
- Congress Demands Trump Fire his ‘White Supremacist’ Advisers
- Cars Plow Through Crowd in Virginia During Protest Clash, Casualty and Injuries Reported
- White House Fact Sheet: How Trump and Sessions Have Combated Lawless Sanctuary Cities
- Obama Breaks Silence–5 Worded Response on Charlotte RIOTS Will Have You Dropping Your Jaw [SHOCKING]
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Pastor is Now Demanding Removal of George Washington Statue Because He Owned Slaves…