Shocked father Jamie Roberts, 31, of Hednesford, Staffordshire, spotted white patches covering pieces of the fruit from a local shop after he put them in a bowl – but assumed this was mould.
However, upon closer inspection, he realised the fruit was infested with a spider nest – and immediately rang pest controllers who advised his family to leave their home immediately.
Mr Roberts – a civil servant, who suffers from arachnophobia – and his wife Crystal, 30, along with their two children Georgina, seven, and five-year-old son Joshua, left their home on February 24.
Pest controllers spent 24 hours fumigating their home but the family were only allowed back three days later after the toxic vapours used to kill the spiders had cleared.
The spiders have not been officially identified but the family believe they could have been the world’s most poisonous Brazilian Wandering Spider.
Mr Roberts said: ‘It was terrifying – especially for me because I have a phobia of spiders. We bought the bananas from the local shop and there were in a fruit bowl on the window sill in the kitchen.
‘One day I picked one up because it looked mouldy because it had patches of white on it.
‘I knew something was wrong because then I noticed the white patches were all over the window sill and the curtains and I could see tiny legs and realised they were spiders.
‘At that point, I wasn’t too concerned because I thought they looked dead. I was freaked out but I started to sweep the patches into the bin but then they all started moving.
‘It was like something out of a horror film because suddenly the window sill was moving with hundreds of these spiders.