The Supreme Court Monday turned away a challenge by gun advocates to a law banning semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in a Chicago suburb.
Five days after the San Bernardino mass shooting, the justices left in place a lower court ruling that found local governments have latitude in deciding how to regulate firearms. The federal appeals court in Chicago upheld the city of Highland Park’s 2013 gun law that bans semi-automatic weapons and large-capacity magazines.
The Supreme Court decision was on par with several prior decisions.
The nation’s highest court has repeatedly turned away challenges to gun restrictions since two landmark rulings that spelled out the right to a handgun to defend one’s own home.
But two conservative justices said they wanted to hear the case — and would have struck down the ban.
Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia said the Chicago appeals court ruling “flouts two of our Second Amendment precedents.”
Read more: NY Daily News
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Quit Acting to ‘Save Our Democracy’ from Donald Trump
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- VIDEO: Students ‘Protest’ Gun Violence by Laying Around Doing Nothing
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- WATCH: Mariah Carey Caught Lip Syncing During NYE Performance–Storms Off Stage, But Not Before She Said This…
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Nikolas Cruz was Member of White Supremacist Militia — UPADET, Police Find No Link
- Grandmother Stops School Shooting Plot in Washington State
- Watch: Democrat Senator Admits Trump is Right About the Wall