The five-star hotel in Dubai engulfed by flames just before the New Years’ firework display was still smouldering this morning, as reports suggest the inferno was triggered by curtains catching fire.
The Address Downtown, one of the most upscale hotels in the city, started at around 9.30pm Dubai time just 500 yards from where the fireworks were due to begin.
Firefighters managed to subdue the inferno, but part of the luxury building is still smoking and a fire is still visible on the 20th floor, where the blaze apparently started.
Medics said at least 60 people were injured and one person suffered a heart attack from the smoke and overcrowding.
Those who escaped described how people climbed over each other in their rush to escape the burning building. One Briton was forced to carry his disabled mother on his back.
However, miraculously no one is believed to have been killed.
The 200-room hotel – which also boasts 600 private apartments – would likely have been packed with people waiting in their rooms for the best view of the fireworks display at the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest skyscraper, which sits just across the lake from The Address.
Those waiting below found themselves in danger of being struck by burning debris falling from the building.
One photographer had a miraculous escape, using a window cleaner’s heavy duty rope to get to safety.
The man, who wished to remain anonymous, had been on a balcony planning to take pictures of the firework display, when the fire broke out.
Fearing he would be suffocated if he re-entered the hotel, he grabbed the cable which was attached to a window-cleaning platform and tied it to his belt.
He was left precariously standing on the balcony sill. Clutching hold of the rope with one arm, he used the other to ring for help.
Civil Defence workers told him to remain calm and half an hour later they approached his floor.
He said: ‘When I saw lights and heard the sounds of footsteps at the floor I was in, I started tapping on the aluminium to get their attention. I think I was the only person left stuck that long. The rope was my saviour’.
Read more: Daily Mail
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- REPORT: US was Running Guns Through Benghazi to Syria and Hillary Lied About it Under Oath
- President Trump Hammers #MeToo Movement — Do You Agree With Him?
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- CNN Shocked After Iowa Voters Say What They Really Think About Russia Investigation [Watch]
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- Watch: The Horrifying Footage of What Happened Inside School During Florida Massacre
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- WATCH: Bernie Sanders FREAKS When His Gun Policy is Exposed by Chuck Todd
- Parkland High School Student Blames Media for Politicizing the School Shooting, Instead of Focusing on Students Who Lost Their Lives
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick