Syria’s president has hailed his forces’ recapture of the famed ancient city of Palmyra from Islamic State.
Bashar al Assad said it was an “important achievement” and showed his army and his allies’ success in combating terrorism, while the military claimed IS was beginning to retreat and collapse.
Government troops and militiamen, backed by Russian airstrikes, have seized back full control of Palmyra which fell to IS in 2015.
It marks the biggest reversal for the extremist group since Moscow’s intervention last September in the five-year conflict.
Mr Assad was quoted as saying: “The liberation of the historic city of Palmyra today is an important achievement and another indication of the success of the strategy pursued by the Syrian army and its allies in the war against terrorism.”
Russian leader Vladimir Putin congratulated him on the phone.
Earlier, a military source said: “After heavy fighting during the night, the army is in full control of Palmyra – both the ancient site and the residential neighbourhoods.”
He added: “Army sappers are in the process of defusing dozens of bombs and mines planted inside the ancient site.”
State media and an opposition monitoring group also said Syrian forces had retaken the city, which is known as the “bride of the desert”.
It is home to Roman-era ruins and used to attract tens of thousands of tourists every year.
- Pedophile Imprisoned for Sexually Abusing Young Boy is Found Dead in Jail
- LOL: Trump Thanks Democrats for Shutting Down the Government on His One Year Presidential Anniversary
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Tragic: Young Boy Attempting to Save Paralyzed Father from Fire Dies
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ALERT: House Voted on Impeachment of Trump, Results Were Staggering
- House Passes “Concealed Carry Reciprocity” Bill
- EPIC: Loan Asian Man Silences Group of Protestors with One Simple Phrase [WATCH]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- REVEALED: Secret Tape of Woman Being Bribed to Accuse Trump of Sexual Harassment