Syrian families have been settled in Texas and in Indiana, the groups helping them said Tuesday, defying efforts by the conservative states’ governors to stop their arrival.
A family of six went to live Monday near relatives already living in the Dallas area, said Lucy Carrigan, a spokeswoman for the International Rescue Committee.
“They seem very happy,” Carrigan said, noting that they were put up in an apartment with basic furniture and a stocked refrigerator. “And it was almost like breathing a sigh of relief that they have arrived. This has been a long journey for them, and it’s been a long journey for a lot of Syrian refugees.”
Carrigan declined to make family members available for an interview, but she said they were not fazed by the state’s fight or concerns that they might not be welcome in Texas.
Another couple and their four daughters were settled in Houston on Monday night by a different resettlement agency, Refugee Services of Texas. An additional nine refugees are expected to arrive later in the week.
“We can reassure all Texans that the refugees are receiving a warm and compassionate welcome from staff and volunteers,” said Aaron Rippenkroeger, president and CEO of Refugee Services of Texas.
Meanwhile, a Syrian couple and their two small children arrived safely Monday night in Indianapolis, where they have relatives, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis said in a statement. It said the family fled Syria three years ago and underwent two years of security checks before being allowed to enter the U.S.
Archbishop Joseph Tobin said he considered Gov. Mike Pence’s recent request to not bring the family to Indiana until Congress had approved new legislation regarding immigrants and refugees. But he said he welcomed them anyway because helping refugees “is an essential part of our identity as Catholic Christians.”
Read more: US News
- Pelosi Kicks Off Campaign Season With Perfect Gift to GOP [WATCH]
- WATCH: Ted Nugent Goes After David Hogg — ‘So Brainwashed’ He Can’t ‘be Fixed’
- BREAKING: FBI, DOJ Broke Law in Clinton Email Probe — Inspector General Declares
- Rape Victim’s Revenge: Woman Cuts Off Her Rapist’s Penis, Flushes it Down the Toilet and Beats Him to Death with a Hammer
- Obama’s Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, Wants Americans to Pull Students from School for Gun Control Push
- Here Are the Students Not Walking Out of School for Gun-Control
- GET NAKED: Professor Challenges Students to Get In Touch with “Erotic Self” by Getting Naked for Final Exam
- #WarriorChick: Man Gropes Woman and Says She “Likes it” Because She is “American” — Her Response Left Him Bruised and Beaten
- Juan Williams HAMMERS CNN for Fake News Story that Hannity ‘Pulled a GUN’ on Him
- Female ISIS Militant Gives 300 LASHES to Another Woman for Refusing to…
- Watch: FBI Informant Claims ‘Secret Society’ of Agents Against President Donald Trump is Real
- Authorities Confronted YouTube Shooter Just Hours Before Shooting
- Professor Who Called Trump’s Win ‘an Act of Terrorism’ Will Receive This as a Reward
- New Bill Would Allow Guns On Public Campus Parking Lots and Bars
- INSIDE THE CRIME SCENE: Chilling Photos of James Holmes’ Attack
- UN Military Vehicles Roaming This American State–Is Obama Fulfilling His Promise of a Global Police Force?
- ‘BLOOD COMING OUT OF HER EVERYWHERE’: Donald Trump’s Twitter War Against Megyn Kelly Took a Nasty Turn When This Happened…
- KEEP WHITEY OUT: Black Students Don’t Want White Kids in Their Schools–Is This Racist?