A teenage driver who bragged about speeding at 142mph in a high-powered sports car ploughed through a red light and killed another motorist the next day.
Addil Haroon, 19, was driving the £20,000 Audi A6 hire car at 80mph when he smashed into another Audi being driven by Joseph Brown-Lartey at the junction of Bury Road and Sandy Lane, in Rochdale on November 9 last year.
Mr Brown-Lartey died instantly from multiple injuries following the impact, which was so severe that his vehicle split into two parts.
Police officers who attended the scene said it was the worst crash they had ever seen on an urban street.
Manchester Crown Court at Minshull Street was told Haroon – who only had a provisional licence – tried to flee the scene in a taxi after the smash. He was today jailed for six years.
He repeatedly denied to police that he was at the wheel – even though he boasted to friends in text messages that he expected to serve only one year behind bars.
Haroon also bragged in another message: “I was unlucky with those lights.”
But friends who were with him the vehicle, which was leading a convoy of two other cars, told police he was the driver. Officers also found his DNA on the airbag.
The court was told Haroon had also taken a picture on his mobile phone the previous night while racing on the M62 at 142mph.
He told friend in a Snapchat message attached to the picture: “Leeds to Rochdale in 11 minutes. Catch me.”
Lisa Boocock, prosecuting, said: “The Crown say this is evidence of Mr Haroon’s attitude to the rules of the road and to his safety and the safety of others.”
- Hijab-Wearing Woman Becomes New Hair Model for L’Oreal. We Aren’t Joking. [Watch]
- Watch: Security Footage Captures Dramatic Shoot-Out Between Cops and Armed Robbers
- Newsweek: ‘Hillary Clinton could still become president if Russia probe finds conspiracy evidence’
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- New Details: Thirteen Children Living in ‘House of Horrors’ Were Only Allowed to Shower Twice a Year, Among Other Cruel Treatment
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- Nationwide Manhunt for This POS — Murdered Multiple Women, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- Watch: Two Chicks are Boarding a Sailboat to Fight Poaching, Totally Bad*ss
- Oakland Mayor Vows to Go to Jail to Protect Sanctuary City
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- Trump Rioters During Inauguration Day Find Out What “Justice” Means
- WOW: Is Obama FORCING Trump Out of the Oval Office?
- Insane! Man Faces Jail Time for ‘Disturbing’ Manatees by Throwing Bucket of…