Texas Gov. Greg Abbott sought to lure Republican support Friday for calling the first U.S. constitutional convention since 1787, a new a priority for his administration that has bemoaned federal courts blocking state laws over gay marriage, abortion restrictions and voting rights.
Conservative calls for states to get together and ratify new amendments to the Constitution are hardly new. Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio has even vowed to push for a convention in elected, though the idea is generating little buzz in the 2016 presidential race.
Abbott is now hoping his weight as governor of the nation’s biggest conservative state can revive momentum in an enduring but perennially unattainable dream of some Republicans. His vision also goes beyond the most common GOP desire for a convention — to tack a federal balanced budget amendment onto the Constitution — and outlines a flurry of new state protections that would nullify federal laws and weaken the U.S. Supreme Court.
One of his nine proposals would require a supermajority of seven justices — out of nine — to invalidate any state law.
“The Supreme Court is a co-conspirator in abandoning the Constitution,” said Abbott, the state’s former attorney general and a former Texas Supreme Court justice. “Instead of applying laws as written, it embarrassingly strains to rewrite laws like Obamacare.”
Texas in recent years has been a recurring defendant in major cases before the Supreme Court. In March, the court will hear oral arguments over the state’s sweeping abortion restrictions that would leave Texas with fewer than 10 abortion providers, down from more than 40 in 2012.
Read more: NewsMax
- Gun-Control Fact Sheet: If There are Any Facts to Refute the Gun-Control Argument, It’s These
- Hundreds of Teachers Sign Up for Concealed Carry Class
- No Liberals, America is NOT the Worst Western Country When it Comes to Mass Shootings
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Tries Peddling False Report on Buying an “AR-15 in Five Minutes”
- Billy Graham’s Final Message to the World Before He Passed Away
- Gun Controllers Post ‘Kill the NRA’ Billboard — Organization Behind it Will Shock You
- One School has Armed Their Staff with Guns After Florida Shooting — Good Idea?
- Sex Robot Conference Proposes Child Sex Bots to ‘Cure’ Pedophilia
- ISIS Gives New Meaning to Craigslist Killers, Lures Hostages by…
- BARF IT’S HARF: Watch State Dep. Marie Harf’s Latest Interview, It’s Worse than her Last One
- WATCH: California Teacher Calls Military ‘Lowest of Our Low’
- The Hero Coach Who Saved Dozens of Students by Sacrificing Himself
- Watch: Laura Ingraham Tells LeBron James to ‘Shut Up and Dribble’ After His Trump Comment
- WATCH: When This Thug is Caught Messing with This Man’s Wife Things Get Bad Real Quick
- WATCH: Classmate of Nikolas Cruz Reported Him Multiple Times and Claims ‘He talked about killing our friends’
- Army Awards Slain JROTC Cadets for Their Heroism During Parkland School Shooting
- Exposed: Maxine Waters Lives in Highly Segregated Wealthy Community, No Where Near Her Represented District