Texas Gov. Greg Abbott sought to lure Republican support Friday for calling the first U.S. constitutional convention since 1787, a new a priority for his administration that has bemoaned federal courts blocking state laws over gay marriage, abortion restrictions and voting rights.
Conservative calls for states to get together and ratify new amendments to the Constitution are hardly new. Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio has even vowed to push for a convention in elected, though the idea is generating little buzz in the 2016 presidential race.
Abbott is now hoping his weight as governor of the nation’s biggest conservative state can revive momentum in an enduring but perennially unattainable dream of some Republicans. His vision also goes beyond the most common GOP desire for a convention — to tack a federal balanced budget amendment onto the Constitution — and outlines a flurry of new state protections that would nullify federal laws and weaken the U.S. Supreme Court.
One of his nine proposals would require a supermajority of seven justices — out of nine — to invalidate any state law.
“The Supreme Court is a co-conspirator in abandoning the Constitution,” said Abbott, the state’s former attorney general and a former Texas Supreme Court justice. “Instead of applying laws as written, it embarrassingly strains to rewrite laws like Obamacare.”
Texas in recent years has been a recurring defendant in major cases before the Supreme Court. In March, the court will hear oral arguments over the state’s sweeping abortion restrictions that would leave Texas with fewer than 10 abortion providers, down from more than 40 in 2012.
Read more: NewsMax
- Trump UN Speech: ‘Rocket Man’ Kim Jong Un is on ‘suicide mission’ [WATCH]
- ISIS on the Verge of Losing its ‘Capital’
- Columbus Day Now has a New Racially Acceptable Name in Los Angeles, Explorer to be Erased from History…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- Crocodile ‘Whisperer’ Claimed the Creatures Wouldn’t Harm Him, Then He Went for a Swim
- WATCH: US Open Champion Sloane Stephens When Asked if She has New ‘Hunger’ to Win More Games Gives Hilarious Answer — Endorses Capitalism
- Maxine Waters: ‘I think too much credit is given to presidents about how the markets are working…’
- The Lawyers Whom Allegedly Deleted Hillary’s E-mails are About to be…
- Syrians React to Trump’s Bombing of Airbase… LOVE What the President Did
- BACON BATTALION: ISIS Militants KILLED by Unexpected Fighters
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- VETPAW: Anti-Poaching Unit Shut-Down because this Woman Said…
- Little Girl and Her Puppet STUN America’s Got Talent Judges in Most AMAZING Act
- Hurricane Harvey Dumps 11 Trillion Gallons of Water on Houston, Thousands of People are…
- Defense Secretary James Mattis is Ready to Shoot Down North Korea’s Ballistic Missiles
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- MSNBC Host Claims Antifa is ‘on the Side of Angels’
- MSM Tries Denying Trump Killed it at G20, But Foreign Press Comes to the Rescue