The spectacular giant balloons, floats and marching bands are making their way down Manhattan’s streets for the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The perennial favorites will be out – including Spider-Man, Snoopy and SpongeBob SquarePants – as the festive parade makes its way from Central Park at 9am to Macy’s in Herald Square.
Making a parade debut, is Ice Age’s Scrat – the persistent squirrel along his with his elusive acorn – boasting a tail the size of a school bus.
And record crowds are expected to swarm Manhattan sidewalks and rooftops to glimpse the spectacle as the holiday season is ushered in, with performances from Mariah Carey, Trey Songz, Jordin Sparks and Panic! At the Disco
New York officials said around 3.5million spectators would turn out for the city’s signature parade, now in its 89th year. But security is heavy, with more than 2,500 officers stationed along the parade’s route – the largest number of officers the police department has ever assigned to the event.
Huge crowds of onlookers have the parade route, which started at 9am at Central Park West and 77th Street on the Upper West Side and will head south to Macy’s flagship store at 34th Street and 7th Avenue, in Herald Square, where it concludes.
Veteran balloons are back out in force, including Hello Kitty, the Pillsbury Doughboy and Paddington Bear, but each year also sees a new balloon or two added to the line-up.
However, little is known about Macy’s selection process – only that the parade’s organizers look for a character with pop culture relevance. According to Studio360, ‘are always on the lookout for what is popular with kids, teens and adults. The new balloons in the line up reflect that.’
And around 50 million people around the world are expected to watch the televised parade, as dozens of giant helium balloons depicting popular cartoon characters, accompanied by floats, volunteers and entertainers, snake through 2.5 miles (4 km) of the city.
But this year’s event is being held under tight security in the wake of terror attacks in Paris, with officials saying it is the most heavily policed parade in the city’s history.
Police Commissioner William Bratton said more than 2,500 officers will be stationed along the parade route for the Thanksgiving Day festivities – the largest number the New York Police Department has ever assigned to the event.
Read more: DailyMail.co.uk
- For Those of You Who Thought Trump Bankrupted the Secret Service, Here is the Real Story…
- BLM Activist Makes List of Requests for White People: ‘give up the home you own to a black or brown family.’
- Armed Intruder Breaks into Family’s Apartment, Tries Raping Daughter — Enter the Pissed Off Father…
- Policewoman Shoots Down 4 Jihadis by Herself — Video Footage Revealed
- Anti-Trump Protester Shot in Groin With Tear-Gas Canister During Phoenix Rally [Video]
- REPORT: Debbie Wasserman Schultz’ IT Aide May Have Sold State Secrets to Russia, Pakistan
- Watch: Hipsters Believe America Should Model Economy Like Venezuela’s to Have Income Equality
- Pope Francis Claims Migrants’ Rights Overrule Importance of National Security
- State Senator Who Called for Trump Assassination is Kicked Out of…
- Question: Should Lawmakers Investigate James Comey and Robert Mueller?
- Bust… A Move? 92yr-Old Woman and Police Officer Have a Dance Off [Watch]
- Chick Lectures Crowd of White Women: ‘I Believe White People Are Born Into Not Being Human’ [Video]
- Hey Ladies: Here is a List of Compact 9mm Concealed Carry Guns that Cost Less Than $600
- VIDEO: Funny Man Jim Carrey Not So Funny Anymore — ‘Cold Dead Hand’ Music Video Mocs Gun Owners
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Trump’s Border Wall Gets Full Funding with $1.6BIL Price-Tag
- If Trump is Responsible for Death at Charlottesville, Then Isn’t Obama Responsible for these 5 Murders?
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…