This is absolutely absurd! Just goes to show you how young they radicalize their kids.
The uncle of a young boy who was photographed gripping the severed head of a slain Syrian soldier says Australia should ‘forget’ the image which has caused outrage among authoritie.
‘He’s gone, forget about it. He’s forgotten about youse. I’m sure you’ve seen much worse than that,’ Mostafa Sharrouf told the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday.
Khaled Sharrouf’s son, believed to be aged seven, used both hands to hoist the decapitated head up as he posed for a chilling photo.
His proud father, one of Australia’s most-wanted terrorists and a suspected war criminal, posted the photo to Twitter on August 8 with the caption: ‘Thats my boy!’.
Wissam Haddad, a friend of Khaled Sharrouf, also spoke on Network Ten’s The Project on Monday night but only agreed to be interviewed by phone.
He said he could not confirm whether or not the photographer seven-year-old boy was Mr Sharrouf’s son had his eyes covered up in the photo.
‘I’m shocked by all sorts of photos that happen from around the world and not just this photo,’ Mr Haddad said.
‘But it’s a war-zone out there so there’s a whole set of rules and it’s a whole different ball game.
‘To be honest with all the fighting against the Muslims in the past 10 years or so, we’ve sort of become immune to these sort photos that we see Muslims – Sydney Muslims – in the same predicament.’
Mr Haddad revealed that he last spoke with his friend a couple of weeks ago, when Mr Sharrouf sent him a text message.
‘I was just telling him that the media was asking some questions about him and if he wanted to address those issues,’ Mr Haddad said.
The extremely graphic photo – seen on Twitter by Daily Mail Australia – is believed to have been taken in the northern Syrian city of Raqqa, according to The Australian.
With an uncomfortable expression on his face and clearly struggling to grip the head in his hands, the boy stands posing in front of a fence that featured the severed heads of apparent enemies of ISIL (also known as ISIS).
Dressed in an innocent blue t-shirt, checkered shorts, sandals and a cap – the youngster looks more as if he’s dressed for a holiday tour than a warzone.
Tony Abbott said photographs such as this one highlighted the ‘barbaric’ nature of ISIL, which he said was trying to establish a ‘terrorist state’ in Iraq.
‘We see more and more evidence of just how barbaric this entity is,’ he told ABC Radio.
‘I believe there are more photographs in the newspapers in Australia today of the kind of hideous atrocities this group is capable of.’
Mr Abbott also stated the Australian government’s willingness to join the humanitarian effort to supply aid to ten of thousands of Yazidi people and Christians trapped by ISIL in Iraq.
Defence Minister David Johnston told ABC radio he was ‘revolted’ by the images and said they revealed the need for the tough counter-terrorism laws the government announced last week.
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten condemned the photograph of the boy as a ‘shocking, evil image’ but said he was wary of using the photograph for political purposes and said Labor would be discussing the proposed changes to anti-terror legislation.