Five months after President Obama pledged to send police departments $75 million to buy body cameras, the first portion of that money is set to be released. The Justice Department said today that, pending approval by Congress, the administration will be granting $20 million to local police departments as the first part of a three-year program, Reuters reports.
The money comes with some strings: the police departments must already have body camera policies in place to be eligible for a grant, and the federal money will match local dollars. Although the grants will be used for purchase of the cameras and training for police, they won’t go toward the costs of storing footage. The first grants will be part of a pilot program to oversee the effectiveness of the cameras.
Read more: theverge.com
- Trump Retaliates After Democrat ‘Fabricated’ Slain Soldier Story — He Has Proof
- WATCH: Slew of Celebrities Ask Americans to ‘Reject’ the NRA, Conceal Carry Do to…
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- 2,800 New Hillary Clinton Emails Recovered Off of Anthony Weiner’s Laptop
- CNN Commentator: When it Come to Criticizing NFL Players “White People Don’t Get to…”
- Hillary Collapses in UK — Has Now Cancelled All Scheduled Events
- World’s Longest Shot Takes 10 Seconds to Wipe Out Target, an ISIS Militant
- Joy Behar Forbids Attacks on Comedians Because ‘We’re Important People Right Now’ [WATCH]
- Actress Jessica Chastain: Hollywood Rallies Against Trump, But Ignores ‘Sexual Predators In Our Offices’
- WATCH: ‘Palestinian Steve Irwin’ Takes on Giant Snake in Hilarious Video
- Watch: Jeff Sessions Goes Bonkers on Sen. Al Franken Over Russia Collusion
- POLL: Conservatives Push to Have Mitch McConnell Resign, Do You Agree With Them?
- Python Swallows Deer Whole in Seconds in Jaw Dropping Video, Or So We Think…
- BREAKING: Armed and Dangerous Killer on the Run — At Least 3 Dead
- ‘Taliban’ Hostages Return Home Revealing Gruesome Details — Reason Why They Were in Afghanistan Still Suspicious [Video]
- Muslim Woman Linda Sarsour Shouts: ‘Muslims Should Not Assimilate’ – Fighting Trump ‘Form of Jihad’ [Watch]
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- Sean Diddy Combs Tweets NFL ‘I… Have a Dream’ Message — Far From Martin Luther King Jr.’s Speech