Five months after President Obama pledged to send police departments $75 million to buy body cameras, the first portion of that money is set to be released. The Justice Department said today that, pending approval by Congress, the administration will be granting $20 million to local police departments as the first part of a three-year program, Reuters reports.
The money comes with some strings: the police departments must already have body camera policies in place to be eligible for a grant, and the federal money will match local dollars. Although the grants will be used for purchase of the cameras and training for police, they won’t go toward the costs of storing footage. The first grants will be part of a pilot program to oversee the effectiveness of the cameras.
Read more: theverge.com
- Report: Charlottesville’s Neo-Nazi Organizer Was Former Occupy Activist, Supported Obama
- Watch: Protesters Destroy Confederate Monument in North Carolina to ‘Smash White Supremacy’
- All the Details Behind Car Attack in Charlottesville are Released, Man Behind Wheel Was… [UPDATE]
- Woman is Stabbed. Two Unarmed Men Try Saving Her, Get Stabbed. Then Dude With Gun Shows Up…
- Neo-Nazi Groups are Now Recognized as Terrorist Organizations — Shouldn’t Black Lives Matter Also?
- Mistakes First Time Buyers Make When Buying A Gun And How To Avoid Them
- Charlottesville Police Chief Says Everyone was Guilty of Violence: ‘Mutually Combating Individuals In The Crowd’
- Savage: Dude Explains Feminism in 2017, ‘You’re a Man. Everything a Man Does is…’ [Video]
- CBS Discovers the Brutal Reality of Gun Laws During Interview
- Sharia Law Is Coming To A Neighborhood Near You
- Report: Forensic Experts say DNC was Never Hacked by Russia, An Insider Did the Job
- NO LOVE FOR TRUMP: Glenn Beck Calls Trump’s Wife a Lesbian Porn Star in Facebook Rant
- Baltimore Removes All Confederate Statues in Middle of Night
- Man Teases Bear With Food — Biggest Mistake of His Life
- American Airlines Flight Bursts into Flames During Takeoff in Chicago
- ASHLEY MADISON FOUNDER: Emails Reveal His Wife Might Want to Divorce Him…
- 5 Legal Stupidities on the 9th Circuit Court Keeping it’s Ruling Against Trump’s Travel Ban
- Trump to North Korea: You “will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”