On Thursday, Maamoun Abdulkarim came to address the Italian Parliament regarding the plight of Syria’s 10,000 archaeological sites. Italy has been active in helping protect antiquities in conflict zones.
Abdulkarim, the head of Syria’s antiquities agency, says that 99 percent of museum collections — some 300,000 museum pieces — have been salvaged, but civil war has still caused massive damage.
Speaking to reporters, he compared the ravaged city of Aleppo to Warsaw at the end of World War II.
“After the clashes it is looting, with the all the mafia coming from neighboring countries, it is another challenge for us how we can protect all the sites,” he said.
Abdulkarim claims between 200 and 300 sites are now under ISIS control. The Islamic State has destroyed large quantities of artworks as idolatrous, and it’s also trafficking many pieces on the global black market to raise funds.
Palmyra, a UNESCO World Heritage site with some of the best preserved antique artifacts, was overrun in May, where ISIS razed two ancient temples and a Roman-era triumphal arch.
“It is hostage, a hostage now — Palmyra, each 10 days we receive new bad news, new destruction,” Abdulkarim said. “And they beheaded … one of my best friends.”
Read more: NPR
- Is This How Otto Warmbier Was Put In A Comma? Leaked Footage Shows North Korean Officials Beating A Woman Senseless For…
- White House Hosts Ramadan Dinner, Trump was a No Show
- Watch: Chuck Schumer Hammered on Senate Floor for Lying About Trump Being Under Investigation
- Bill Nye Writer Willing To Accept Deaths of “Old Ass Conservative White Men” If It Leads To Gun Control
- Trump’s Travel Ban Reinstated by Supreme Court
- WaPo Publishes Fact-less Story Thomas Jefferson ‘Celebrated Ramadan’
- Obama Judge Releases MS-13 Gang Member On The Biases Of…
- CNN Employees Resign After Fake News Scandal
- Watch: Thug Couple Beats Restaurant Owner and Her Daughter Over ‘Cold Chicken’
- CNN Retracts Their Fake Russia/Trump News — Instantly Trolled [LOL]
- North Korea Claims They’re the ‘Victim’ in Otto Warmbier’s Death
- Democrat on Scalise Shooting: ‘I’m F**king Glad He Got Shot’ [AUDIO]
- Video: Muslim Man Attacks Woman In Broad Daylight Because She Was Wearing…
- Snowflake Alert! University Now Has ‘Emotional Risk’ Assessment For Student Events
- Report: Why Firing Nancy Pelosi is Harder Than it Sounds
- After Russian-Trump Fake News Story, CNN Is Imposing New Rules — But Will They Help?
- Watch: One Person’s Fit of Road Rage Backfires, Cause Insane Chain Reaction
- Socialist Bernie Sanders & Wife Under Bank Fraud Investigation by the FBI