A heroic student charged at the Oregon college shooter and was shot seven times as he tried to save his classmates, his family said.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, was taken to hospital following the massacre at Umpqua Community College on Thursday morning.
His cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com that Mintz faced Chris Harper-Mercer, 26, who killed at least 10 people at the school in Roseburg.
‘I was told he went after the shooter,’ Bourgeois told DailyMail.com.
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times, but he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
According to his family, both of his legs are broken and he will have to learn to walk again.
Mintz’s aunt Sheila Brown told NBC News that ‘he tried to protect some people’.
‘We were told he did heroic things to protect some people,’ she said.
‘He was on the wrestling team and and he’s done cage-fighting so it does not surprise me that he would act heroically.’
Mintz, originally from Randleman, North Carolina, served 10 yeras in the Army and had just recently started college, his aunt said.
Bourgeois said he and Mintz had joined the Army together after graduating high school. Bourgeois stationed in Fort Bragg in North Carolina while his cousin was sent to Fort Lewis in Washington.
After getting out of the Army, Bourgeois said his cousin began cage-fighting, but was working at an YMCA while he enrolled at the community college in Roseburg with the goal of becoming a fitness coach when he left.
Read more: dailymail.co.uk
- Report: DHS to File Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Politicians
- ICE to Crack Down on California the Sanctuary State
- Melania Trump Cuts Pork from First Lady Payroll After Michelle Obama’s Extensive Spending
- Actors Blame Trump for Hawaii False Alarm — Jim Carrey “We are headed for suffering beyond all imagination.”
- Psychologist Answers Journalist’s Question ‘Why should your right to freedom of speech trump a trans person’s right not to be offended?’ — Leaves Her Speechless [Watch]
- Parents Shackled Thirteen Children to Bed — Starving Them and Forcing to Recite the Bible
- Watch: Al Sharpton’s Epic Fails When Reading Teleprompter Will Have You Rolling With Laughter, ‘The Thigh (Thai) Militarty’
- 22 U.S. States Have Passed “Bring Your Gun to Work” Laws
- Allah Adios: Muslim Migrants Finally Get Deported from US Under Trump Admin
- College Pays Professors Huge Settlement After ‘Ban of White People’ on Campus Threatened Their Lives [Video]
- New ‘Sanctuary State’ Signs Posted on California Highways Perfectly Describe the Idiocy of the New Law
- INSANE: Cops Kill Puppy that was Walking Away From Them [VIDEO]
- Report: Research Firm Who Made Fake Trump Dossier Admits They Used McCain on Purpose
- Robert de Niro Loses His Mind in Speech: President Trump is a ‘F***ing Fool,’ ‘F***ing Idiot’ [Watch]
- POWERFUL: Cop Stands in the Place of Student’s Deceased Parents at Graduation
- WATCH: Reporter Asks Hillary About Wikileaks Dump on Morocco Money–What She Said Will SHOCK You
- Watch: Chelsea Manning is Running for Senate and the Campaign Ad Will Make You Cry with Laughter